Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Avoiding Cataract Surgery and Getting New Eyeglasses

An Update:
    I just got new progressives and bifocals in identical frames to test out. I can report the new digital free-form progressive lenses don't work for me. Just like the non digital free-form progressives I tried years ago. I'll return them for full credit.

The new bifocals do work slightly better than my old RX bifocals(also in
    identical frames) for the 5' to 10' range. However the reading and distance is not as sharp. My eye DR says the new bifocals and progressives are made properly to my new RX. However he said my new RX is only .25 diopters away from old bifocals and I may get used to my new ones. The DR said my new or old glasses will exceed the driver license requirements.

Here's what I've learned:

1- There's a big difference in
    cataract surgery "satisfaction rates" vs "success rates"

2- .25 diopters difference in lenses in an identical pair of frames may not improve your vision. .25 diopters is the smallest increase or decrease in an RX the eyeglass industry can accommodate. Your eye exam RX could vary that much from day to day. You could go from one eye Dr to another DR in one day and get an exam that varies .25 diopters. It's like a tolerance in measurement that is a part of the eye business.

3- Now I remember why for years I'd always try to get new eyeglasses made to my existing RX. Usually the frames broke but I could see fine out of a 5 year old RX. Often an old repaired frame with an older RX would give me clear vision. A few years ago my friend in optical business said "there's a new law that says you must get an eye exam every 2 years". I'd get glasses made to the new RX and often they were blurry compared to an old pair. I was told "Wear them and you'll adapt". Looking back at my old RXs in the file they usually only changed
    .25 diopters. If the tolerance is .25 diopters I was getting used to blurry vision and paying for new glasses I wasn't happy with.

I passed the driver license exam today at the DMV with my old eyeglasses.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 03-23-2019 at 12:10 AM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford