Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black and Decker Work Mate. Do you still use one?

Mine got a lot of use when my workshop was part of a crowded garage and pretty much any project needed to spill into the driveway. I still have it for those times when it makes more sense to take the tools to the project than to bring the project to the tools, and in the meantime it's tucked behind the dust collector stand. But it's old and tired, the plastic retainers that keep the legs folded in are brittle if not broken, and at least one of the leg hinge pins keeps slipping out. So...maybe it's time to retire it permanently.
    Chuck Taylor

I use mine when locating somewhere besides the shop, such as at my son's house. Great to be able to clamp a board on the job.

I have a cheap one with the plastic foot off one of the legs missing set up on the infeed side of the table saw most of the time. I have clamped a piece to the top to use it as an infeed table but now that I have a track saw I rarely put anything big through the SawStop. Mostly it holds things temporarily but it got used recently to hold a board from the dock while I moved cleats. 1/2 inch bolts were rusted so some of them had to be cut off with a reciprocating saw. Workmate held the board just fine. The top of mine is burnt from holding something I welded or soldered. It's nice to have something cheap like this that you don't have to care a lot about. I wouldn't mind having another one. I also use the workmate to hold a custom box of reloading equipment when I load my own centerfire rifle cartridges. I haven't done that in awhile but the setup works fine.

IMG_2905.jpgWhen I retired and moved into a townhouse, the basement shop became the deck for power work and spare bedroom for hand work and finishing. I use the Workmate constantly outside for holding workpieces horizontally and upstairs, with a 24x48 piece of particle board screwed on it, as a workbench. It at holding things vertically and one can only use hand planes with a foot on the step but I make do. Veritas Wonder Dogs in numerous holes drilled in the particle board serve tail vise duty.

IMG_2057.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-05-2019 at 8:32 AM.

Before I retired, I maintained communications equipment that was software driven. I carried a Workmate to use as a table for my laptop or other test equipment.

My bride bought me one at a garage sale years ago and I'm glad she did. I've used it countless times. I have it at my cabin now and it gets used regularly for all kinds of tasks.

I bought a copy cat workmate for 20 bucks at Ocean Lot. It has been really handy for site work and machine support.

I used it for a miter saw stand last summer when I built a deck. And I use it for support with my jointer extension and planer extension.

Setting it up as a sharpening station in the cellar sounds like a good idea.