Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black and Decker Work Mate. Do you still use one?

I've had my Type 2 model 425 (made in Canada) since the mid 80's. I used it frequently back then but seldom used it once I built a workbench. It mainly got used as a table to hold things like my spray gun or collect junk. As I started running out of space in my shop, it eventually got pushed up to the wall in a remote corner and went unused for many years. It was difficult to store since it wouldn't stand upright when folded.

Recently I rediscovered this old but handy little work table and built a wheeled base to store it on that keeps it upright. Now I find myself using it more and more simply because it is so quick and easy to roll out and set up. I'm glad I never got rid of it.

Veritas Saddle Clamps on Workmate 425.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-03-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

My shop is also in the basement, and I use my workmate ($5 garage sale buy) in the garage. Mainly it’s used as the table for my lazy Susan which I use for spray finishing. But I’ve also used it to put my little lawn mower or snow blower on to change the oil or whatever.

For site work, for sure.

I sometimes use it for holding large pieces of wood that I am trimming with a circular saw. But I think its just too heavy to be really portable. Sawhorses work Ok.

I have a cheap clone, which I used to use quite frequently (my basement workbench is better suited to metalwork than woodwork) since I do my most of my work outside.

Picked up a "Husky Portable Jobsite Workbench, model 225047" along w/ a Husky Rolling Connect system hoping that it'd work better for me --- still trying to get the tools sorted out into a reasonable arrangement, and would like to work up a system to connect the rolling workbench to the cart so that two trips can become one.

I'd also like to work up a better vise / workholding system for the Husky workbench, ideally one which could hold lumber for re-sawing, which is the main use of the Workmate clone. Once I get that sorted out, the clone will probably be given away.

I have three Sears knockoff versions that I store in a shed. Their best feature is the adjustable height. Great for a temporary assembly table or extension to my main work bench.

I never used the clamping function. Before I built the outfeed table for my table I used one of them.

Now I mostly use them outside to clamp on a meat grinder to make chum for fishing... which is why the are now stored in the shed.

I have had one since the 80's. It has hung on the wall of the garage at times but also used as a router table holder, small band saw holder, small jointer holder. I am sure it will find a place in the new shop for something. At the very least, it will be handy if I need a work station outside or away from the house. I put non-skid paint on the steps back in the day. Its still on there. I don't quite remember why I put the paint on there. Must have been to put my foot on the step to hold the base steady if needed.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    I have one of the original "Model A" versions with the aluminum cast supports. It gets used regularly. My son has the Model B type that belonged to my father and his gets use often as well. They make a nice work bench/aid when doing outside projects or even in the shop. In fact we just used mine yesterday to support a piece of 1-1/2" pipe so we could remove a fitting we needed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I've had my Type 2 model 425 (made in Canada) since the mid 80's. I used it frequently back then but seldom used it once I built a workbench. It mainly got used as a table to hold things like my spray gun or collect junk. As I started running out of space in my shop, it eventually got pushed up to the wall in a remote corner and went unused for many years. It was difficult to store since it wouldn't stand upright when folded.

Recently I rediscovered this old but handy little work table and built a wheeled base to store it on that keeps it upright. Now I find myself using it more and more simply because it is so quick and easy to roll out and set up. I'm glad I never got rid of it.

Veritas Saddle Clamps on Workmate 425.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

I like the stand with wheels idea. May give that a try. Thanks!
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

That wheeled stand that Dick made is a great idea!

Mine is hiding in the garage somewhere. I don’t use it much as it is heavy to carry around. Also got pinched real bad one time collapsing it. Need to give it away to someone who will use it.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 02-03-2019 at 6:31 PM.

I like the way Dick incorporated the new Lee Valley plastic thingies to use it as a small cutting station for his track saw.

Nice job!

Edit: Forgot...rarely use mine, but I like the above idea. Maybe..
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-03-2019 at 8:19 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    I've had one for 35 or 40 years & it's seen a LOT of use. These days not as much now that I have a proper workbench & other shop fixtures that the Workmate used to pinch hit for. But I'd not get rid of it. Once or twice a month it gets pulled out for some odd job. It's just such a versatile, sturdy thing.

I still have and use my Workmate that I bought in 1976. It’s the original USA model that was released in 1975. Just about every woodworking and home improvement project that I’ve done since then has been done on my Workmate. I’me Even using it as a workbench to finally build an actual woodworking workbench.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I had one at one time but I have no idea where it went. Probably given away during one of my moves. You're sort of forced to reduce the amount of your "stuff" when you move.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm happy to report - - mine ended up on the front lawn, the day before garbage collection - - and took that magic journey taken by so many other items - that ends in "someone-picked-my-useless -self-out-of-the-garbage-and-dragged-me-home-so-now-I'm-their problem" land - just this last Summer.I too had mine for decades & just moved it out of the way all the time instead of using it.
    Mine was one of the - "well it seemed like a great idea at the time, too bad it was a stupid idea" models that had wheels and a fold down plate that turned it into s semi-functional, but horribly uncomfortable to use, two wheeler.

Did you know, 99% of all fishing gear is intended to catch fishermen, not fish? Same goes for tools....
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...