Thread: Waterborne — Finishing the finish

Waterborne — Finishing the finish

For those of you that utilize waterborne finishes (especially spraying waterborne), do you doing anything after the finish has cured (e.g., rubbing out)? I’ve gotten pretty good results straight off the gun for satin finishes, then I typically just use a brown paper bag to “rub out” any nibs after curing. Curious what other methods folks use?

Thanks,
    Tom

I sometimes de-nib the final coat with 1800 grit sandpaper. It is fine enough that it doesn't leave visible scratches, but it does get those little nibs.

I don't do anything after the final coat. If it has imperfections, it wasn't the final coat. Filtering the coating material and setting up the job to avoid horizontal surfaces helps when the cleanliness of the atmosphere is a bit doubtful. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I use this tool to denib, works great

http://www.konigtouchup.com/BuyNow/metalplaner.html

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    I use this tool to denib, works great

http://www.konigtouchup.com/BuyNow/metalplaner.html
    Interesting, how does it work exactly? Hard to tell from the picture.

There is basically a short length of a cabinet float embedded into the handle, held in by a magnet. You simply place it on the part to be denibbed and gently glide it over the surface. It shaves off any nibs. It’s quite effective, and only takes the weight of the tool to work. I thought for sure it would leave scratches, but it does not.