Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hearing Aids – What do I need to know?

What do you do when your in shop, turn them off. or remove them.

I don't wear mine in the shop, they will turn off or mute themselves while wearing my ear muffs. I still have enough hearing I guess that I don't feel they're needed there. For me, mostly in room where people may not speak loudly! Or other background noise.

Don't wear them all the time, probably should...

Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I got my aids through Humana, and on their program through Tru Hearing, my cost was under $2000.00 for top of the line HAs (Flyte brand). I went back to inner ear type because of sweat getting in the mics. If you have retirement medicare insurance, might be worth looking into as well. Do not go to Beltone!!! Gets dander up, sorry.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    What do you do when your in shop, turn them off. or remove them.

I don't wear mine in the shop, they will turn off or mute themselves while wearing my ear muffs. I still have enough hearing I guess that I don't feel they're needed there. For me, mostly in room where people may not speak loudly! Or other background noise.

Don't wear them all the time, probably should...

I wear mine in the shop - mainly because I wear mine all the time. One advantage of the aids is that they have a sound limiter in them. That is, if there's a loud sound in the shop, the aids will limit how loud that sound is presented to the ears to keep it within a safe volume.

Most people who wear aids find that it's difficult to understand speech when there's a lot of ambient noise (such as a room full of people talking). There's work going on by the hearing aids companies to improve comprehension in those situations but it's still in the early stages. If you get a top of the line hearing aid from a reputable company it may have that technology (early technology, however). I think in a few years we'll see real improvement in that area.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-10-2019 at 3:24 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I wear my HA and use my cochlear implant(CI) when I am in the shop. I do wear a lapel microphone wind screen over the microphone for my CI sound processor. I found that if I sweat a lot, the sweat damages the wind screens on the microphones for my HA, thus I don't wear the HA to the gym or if I am mowing the lawn. I don't wear either device when I go to bed at night.

Both my HA and CI have the ability to "muffle" loud sounds so they don't bother me. I can listen to music in the shop on my stereo, start the DC, power up a tool, use it and then after I shut the tool off, I can listen to the music again. Granted, listening to music and the power tools simultaneously is not optimal but it wasn't when I had normal hearing.
    Ken