Thread: Removing dried,thick, linseed oil from concrete floor

Removing dried,thick, linseed oil from concrete floor

I had about 3/4 of a gallon of linseed oil in a metal can sitting on the floor of the shop in a corner. The bottom rusted out and it slowly weeped out. I pried the empty can up and there is a patch about one foot square with what looks like about 1/8" thick varnish. It is fairly hard like epoxy. I will chisel it up and then maybe paint thinner/acetone or what?
    I had been smelling the linseed in the shop air for months but I like the smell so I was not concerned. I poured silicone sealer on the concrete shop floor when we moved in about 15 years ago so there may be a chance of getting it so it is not sticky. I plan to move my belt/disk sander to that area so it should be covered.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    Once the oil has polymerized, thinners won't take it off. You need to go with a paint stripper. Or try a heat gun & scraper. That sealer you applied to the concrete may just act as a release.

It would be worth trying some of the concentrated cleaner made from Orange hulls, if you can still find it, once you chisel up what you can get. Most of the spray bottles you see of the orange cleaner are diluted a lot.

One of the oscillating tools with the scrapper attachment should help.

angle grinder?

Scrape it. I bet it comes up without a whole lot of effort.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Heat gun and a sharp scraper, been there!
    Dean

OP here: It broke up scraping with crowbar. Left a brown stain that I will try to remove with mek or acetone.
    Bill D