Thread: Stanley 9 1/2

Stanley 9 1/2

I found a Stanley 9 1/2 at the back of a drawer.

Before I go and fettle it, is this a useful plane? The reason I ask is that with a bed of 20° and a bevel of 25° that's 45°, same as a bench plane.

I can see this being fine for long grain, but what about on end grain?

I have a 60 1/2 too as it happens. Were they made for different purposes?

Is there an argument to put a 30 or 35° bevel on the 9 1/2 and just not consider using it on end grain?

thanks, looking forward to learning something.

Blog Entries
    Funny there was one of these found a week or two ago in one of my drawers, laying there forgotten.

To me it is somewhat the same as using a bench plane without the knob and tote. My #102 is my go to block plane when a small standard angle plane is wanted.

For me it is a usable tool, but rather redundant. For another it would be a fine choice when they want a smaller plane than their #3 or 4.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use my 9 1/2 planes all the time. I have one dedicated to chamfering, one set very fine for end grain or touching up face grain, another set more coarse, and another set fine as a spare. I find them more useful than 60 1/2 planes for whatever reason. I also carry one in my carpentry box.

Block planes were designed for carpenters to carry around and use with one hand. They were called block planes because carpenters did an operation called blocking in: cutting a piece a little over long and planing the end grain to get a fit to just squeeze in.

Your bench plane will do a fine job of planing end grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I found a Stanley 9 1/2 at the back of a drawer.

Before I go and fettle it, is this a useful plane? The reason I ask is that with a bed of 20° and a bevel of 25° that's 45°, same as a bench plane.

I can see this being fine for long grain, but what about on end grain?

I have a 60 1/2 too as it happens. Were they made for different purposes?

Is there an argument to put a 30 or 35° bevel on the 9 1/2 and just not consider using it on end grain?

thanks, looking forward to learning something.
    Mark, try the plane after adding a 40 degree secondary bevel. Add a little camber at the same time. (use a honing guide to do this).

What you now have is a one-handed smoother. This will be terrific for small sections where you are concerned about tearout, and especially for chamfering edges.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I think I'll put a 40° secondary bevel on the iron à la Derek and get smoothing.

Checking back in with an update - I put a 40° bevel on the 9 1/2, lapped the sole, and it works great as a one-handed smoother.

It's light, and a good size to hold. I've been using it when a piece is too big to be easily clamped, but is not heavy enough to resist being pushed around by planing, so I need my free hand to hold it.

Good to hear that you’re liking your No. 9 1/2.

I already have a No. 1 smoother that’s absolutely awesome, but a few weeks ago I ordered a Stanley No. 9 1/2 to try out.

It’s in, I just need to pick it up.

Blog Entries
    To my surprise, a #9-1/2 was found in a drawer the other day. My vague memory was it was purchased at an estate sale for less than $5.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)