Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: adjustable groovers for shapers-which ones ?

The spindle cap on my Felder has pins at the top. Could be what the pin holes on that slot cutter are for.
    FCE78BBC-F477-4D8D-80C8-CBA2B9CB2F49.jpg
    0CD2C359-76C5-41D6-9DFA-7C46769DE06B.jpg

Also, as follow to an earlier discussion, my spindle measure roughly 1.18” which converts to 30mm.
    92773E6F-8C08-448C-88AC-E5C65DF3730D.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post
    Joe interesting find on the Stark groovers. If the pinholes have a center to center on approx. 46mm diameter they would fit the saw. They are still shown as viable PN's from the pics in the moulding section of the Felder catalog but it appears the pinholes are not right and could be put there for other applications. If you have a minute a measurement of the center to center distance would be great and remove any doubt. Mike D and I have been considering making a shaper hood for tenoning with larger cutters, I like your simple but effective approach.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 02-12-2019 at 8:15 AM.

Hi Greg, the pins on the spindle cap are to prevent the cap screw from unscrewing itself when the shaper is run in reverse, they are not for the pin holes in tooling.

So you have a 30mm spindle? Does it have the sleeves to increase it to 1.25"?

The 30mm spindle will take the grooving cutter designed for the saw, allowing you to share tooling. I also share saw blades.

The 30mm spindle also takes the Schlefix sanding drum which I use..............Regards, Rod.

Joe, I like your shop built tenoning hood.

Thanks Rod. That makes sense.

I dont believe I have any sleeve(s) to increase size to 1.25”. Not sure if they are available from Felder or not.

Good to know now on the shared tooling. I’m following this thread with regards to an adjustable groover when I get to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Greg, the pins on the spindle cap are to prevent the cap screw from unscrewing itself when the shaper is run in reverse, they are not for the pin holes in tooling.

So you have a 30mm spindle? Does it have the sleeves to increase it to 1.25"?

The 30mm spindle will take the grooving cutter designed for the saw, allowing you to share tooling. I also share saw blades.

The 30mm spindle also takes the Schlefix sanding drum which I use..............Regards, Rod.

Greg here are some pics of my friends 2007 KF500 spindle setup. Spindle is 1". The 3rd pic is the exchangeable 30mm sleeves. He has both the 30mm sleeves and the 1 1/4" sleeves. Quite possible knowing Felder they had a 30mm only spindle option.

Spindle full.jpg

Spindle .jpg

Spindle Sleeves.jpg

6. Hey Mike!
    I know I'm a few days late on this, but here's my experience:

I've always used the Amana cutters, primarily the 4.5-7mm dial 160mm (I rotate three of them)
    The dial is AMAZING for quick adjustments. On my shapers, I would have to lower the spindle in order to get the blades off to add shims, so adjustments became more difficult using the shim system.
    As far as quality, I've run one head for the past five years, a few thousand passes a day, nearly every day, its held up. There is a bit of slack in the cutter slots, so you just need to make sure they're aligned.
    For inserts, I use too many to pay $10 an insert through Amana, so I went on Alibaba and bought a few hundred of each piece. They're like 10 cents a piece, its ridiculous. There is a small loss in quality, but you could throw away 98 of them and still be saving money, I've never thrown one away because of quality though. You can also choose different grind angles for the inserts (Amana uses 35 degree, I switched to 30 degree and it's seems to work better.)
    Any other questions about the blades, I'm happy to help!