Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lowes?

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Have you guys ever heard of AMAZON?
    You get outta here what with your newfangled interwebs, snapbook and tweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Most big box customers wouldn't know anything about Festool, Wera etc. beyond that they are overpriced. Some customers would, but not enough.
    Plus, it looks too much like Ryobi to attract any attention. ;^b

Blog Entries
    I will give the Lowes Craftsman tools a try. They might be quality and I will not know without buying a tool and using it.

I remember getting Craftsman batteries for my Pro Black and Decker drills the 1940 series that was the top of the line back in the 90's. went to a B&D service center and seeing a weird color 1940 drill and asked about it they told me it was a Craftsman that B&D made for Sears. Batteries were half the price so I picked up about 6 as I had 7 drills.

As mentioned , Stanley owns Craftsman. They didn’t pay Sears close to a billion dollars for the name because they were feeling nostalgic or charitable. They also know a thing or two about marketing tools to “we the people” at lots of different price points. It’s also quite possible that Lowe’s is just along for the ride on this (though I have no info to substantiate this )

Hartville has one retail store while the Depot and Lowe’s have over 2000 each. It’s an entirely different merchandising exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    As mentioned , Stanley owns Craftsman. They didn’t pay Sears close to a billion dollars for the name because they were feeling nostalgic or charitable. They also know a thing or two about marketing tools to “we the people” at lots of different price points. It’s also quite possible that Lowe’s is just along for the ride on this (though I have no info to substantiate this )

Hartville has one retail store while the Depot and Lowe’s have over 2000 each. It’s an entirely different merchandising exercise.
    So it's true then Dave? Hartville Tool is backed by a local store?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post

You can can click the “about us” tab on the website and read all about it.

They are are not unusual in this regard. ToolNut, Highland Woodworking, ACME, and a few others with big web presence have a retail store behind them. Maintaining a single location and a website is much easier than the logistics of keeping thousands of 100k sq. ft locations stocked and staffed and profitable.

yep great place to spend a few hours walking around with a gaping jaw! https://www.hartvillehardware.com/
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Dave, Rich,
    Thanks. All I can say is "Holy Cow!"
    That's one heck of a hardware store!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Menards has both the Minwax and Varathane products. Lately they have been selling quarts of Minwax finish with a 3$ rebate. Limit 4 per rebate. I quit buying gallons as do not use it up fast enough, and the cans leak air and the finish skins over. Quarts work for me. If you want wipe on, just thin down the regular stuff.