Thread: Topographic Mirrors

Topographic Mirrors

Here are the first 2 in this series of mirrors that resemble Topographic Maps. The first on is Mahagony. I resawed the top off the mirror blank andthen glued it back on with red and white veneer. Carved extensively with the Dremel and then hand carved the texture. The second one is Hackberry that I resawed onto 8 slabs. Cut out the opening and the burned it and glued the layers together. The outside was carve to add the texture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Something tells me those took a lot of work to do. How many are you thinking of making for the series?

Don't know. I don't usually do series per se. Things just sort of evolve. I design a piece and while I'm making it others pop into my head. Or I might be driving to going somewhere and see something that fits into the latest design. The Hackberry mirror was supposed to mimic the Diamond Mines of Africa or other mines that start out as a large hole and go down.

John,
    I like the design and the texture of those. My first thought was that the grip would feel very good/secure in your hand.....I can imagine you could come up with endless combinations.

Jim