Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CNC Workbench Top

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    $40 each - where are you located?
    Minnesota.

I wasn't thinking a full 4x8, whatever the Festool size is where I could get three out of a sheet.

Ten minutes of machining, $20 in material, $100 in profit? Sign me up! I'll shove sheets in that thing for the rest of my days for that kind of money

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Minnesota.

I wasn't thinking a full 4x8, whatever the Festool size is where I could get three out of a sheet.

Ten minutes of machining, $20 in material, $100 in profit? Sign me up! I'll shove sheets in that thing for the rest of my days for that kind of money
    That works when all the work is done and your in and out the door with no customer BS. 3 parts at 8 minutes maybe off the machine (count it as 15 with BS), a sheet of material (probably would run double refined for this), order, receive material, load to machine, off load, scraps, dust, tool wear. yeah, $150 in profit works. I think we pay in the mid to high 30's for double refined or super refined. Still only puts you at $50 bucks in time and materials. Add in the disruption in the schedule to run one here and there and it may not be so great unless you run them after hours.

We run a TON of small parts out of material that is trivial (just under $10 a sheet) and at the onset the margins look obscene. But when your really get done with every bit of it. They are fair/tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    That works when all the work is done and your in and out the door with no customer BS. 3 parts at 8 minutes maybe off the machine (count it as 15 with BS), a sheet of material (probably would run double refined for this), order, receive material, load to machine, off load, scraps, dust, tool wear. yeah, $150 in profit works. I think we pay in the mid to high 30's for double refined or super refined. Still only puts you at $50 bucks in time and materials. Add in the disruption in the schedule to run one here and there and it may not be so great unless you run them after hours.

We run a TON of small parts out of material that is trivial (just under $10 a sheet) and at the onset the margins look obscene. But when your really get done with every bit of it. They are fair/tight.
    I was just fantasizing about running that same program over and over for the next 15 years, and you ruined it. Two years I'd just be parking bunks of material and letting the robots do everything. Once a week change tooling, reload the atc, back at the grind.

I could turn the rest of the shop into a ping pong room.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Minnesota.

Actually if I take out what he charged me for one time charges I could buy them at $53/each. Ha- maybe I should CL them too.