Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rush - Love it or Leave it?

Rush - Love it or Leave it?

The new Netflix documentary on Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage reminded me of how rabid a fan I was in high school. The documentary is fantastic. Then as now, Rush has always been a polarizing band. You either love them like no other band, or just don't get it.

So, question 1: Are you a Rush Geek or is it all Greek to you?

Question 2: What's your favorite album?

I'll start:
    Hemispheres. I am trying my darndest to listen to stuff post Presto, but it's hard. I'm doin' it for Geddy, though!

(Rob Lee, I'll be highly disappointed if you are not one of us...)

Blog Entries
    My first thought was who?

Mostly my listening is from groups like the Incredible String Band to Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm a big Rush fan and have been since high school. My first album was Moving Pictures, and I have several on vinyl as well as all of them on CD. My favorite album is either Hemispheres or 2112. Though I really like the newer albums, especially Clockwork Angels.

A new netflix documentary? Cool! Will have to add that to our queue. I was a Rush fan in High School and had their albums on cassette. Unfortunately an uninvited house guest walked away with my tape cases years ago so I haven't listened to their music in depth for years. As for albums, my era would have been Moving Pictures and Signals.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I'm just a so-so fan. Don't hate them or adore them.

Saw them once a, um, few years ago when they were on their 2112 tour. They were the warmup band for Ted Nugent at the beautiful air-conditioned Cobo Arena*. They put on a good show.

-Tom

*Any longtime Detroiter will get that one!

They have always been enjoyable...great music and I can't pick out anything I like more than something else.. Rush was not "my band" when I was growing up...Yes got that nod. But it was really kewel when Geddy Lee joined Yes on stage when that band was inducted in the hall of fame to play bass after the passing of Chris Squire from cancer. So many of these bands and people have been supportive of each other
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm a a Rush fan. Ever since 2112. For three guys they did a great job in the studio and on-stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The new Netflix documentary on Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage reminded me of how rabid a fan I was in high school. The documentary is fantastic. Then as now, Rush has always been a polarizing band. You either love them like no other band, or just don't get it.

So, question 1: Are you a Rush Geek or is it all Greek to you?

Question 2: What's your favorite album?

I'll start:
    Hemispheres. I am trying my darndest to listen to stuff post Presto, but it's hard. I'm doin' it for Geddy, though!

(Rob Lee, I'll be highly disappointed if you are not one of us...)
    I don't have the '90's stuff, but I have everything else before or since on either vinyl or CD. My favorite period was the late 70's, I can't single out one particular record. The recent vinyl re-releases are fantastic, BTW. Does that make me a Rush geek? The 60's and 70's were my musical period, and you can trace the evolution of that from a lot of earlier stuff. I gotta say, the musicianship of Rush was/is incredible.

My kids now in their 40's were huge Rush fans. I never cared for them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    My kids now in their 40's were huge Rush fans. I never cared for them.
    They were like an extension of King Crimson and early Yes, infused with the energy of Zeppelin. Everybody who liked those earlier bands should give them a chance. You're never too old to break your hip head-banging to prog rock.

Blog Entries
    I'll probably have my Canadian citizenship revoked for this, but I can. not. stand. Rush. Geddy Lee's voice just sends me over the edge. I can't deny that there is much talent there, but that voice...

But there are a couple of their songs I like. New World Man comes to mind, there may be others but I can't recall.

Gasp! When I saw the thread title the image of "Rush Limbaugh" hit my brain cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    They were like an extension of King Crimson and early Yes, infused with the energy of Zeppelin. Everybody who liked those earlier bands should give them a chance. You're never too old to break your hip head-banging to prog rock.
    I was a big Yes fan. Yessongs is one of my all time favorite albums and one of the reasons I have tinnitus...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post

Saw them once a, um, few years ago when they were on their 2112 tour. They were the warmup band for Ted Nugent at the beautiful air-conditioned Cobo Arena*. They put on a good show.

-Tom
    I saw them at Cobo as well, but Moving Pictures tour. That's the only Rush CD I own.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I was a big Yes fan. Yessongs is one of my all time favorite albums and one of the reasons I have tinnitus...
    I guess that makes us related, although my hearing issues are slightly different. LOL At the height of my "Yes obsession", I only had a small, old "record player" with two speakers...a kind of portable thing. There was no provision for headphones, so it was the old "lye on the floor with my head between two speakers thing".

Recently, I spent quite a bit of time on YouTube listening to a wide variety of their recorded live performances...and I enjoyed every moment of it.

We now return you to discussion of Rush, rather than Yes. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...