Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rush - Love it or Leave it?

I'll probably catch it from the die hard Rush fans, but my favorite albums are probably the first 3. I was a big fan in high school. I'm actually particularly fond of the first album, but I probably like Fly by Night the best. Also like Permananet Waves. The further from Moving Pictures you get and the less I care for the albums. Signals was OK, Grace Under Pressure had a couple good songs despite the keyboards and tinny guitars, and Hold Your Fire had Time Stand Still, still one of my favorite songs. I don't have anything newer than that though.

Neil's books are a pretty good read, and Ghost Riders helped me get over my grandmother's death. I really like Alex's guitars, his suspended chords are like no one else's. Pity about Geddy's voice. I saw them on the Time Machine tour and you gotta feel sorry for a guy who has 20 years of material that is too high for him to sing anymore.

Working Man was the song that inspired me to take up guitar. Alex was better guitar player at 19 than I will ever be in my life. Although I think I have him beat at woodworking

I thought the same thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Gasp! When I saw the thread title the image of "Rush Limbaugh" hit my brain cells.

A staple for me. I don’t remember where or when or even which one of the band was being interviewed, but someone asked him why he didn’t wear a watch on stage. The answer was something like “are you kidding?, with just three of us making that much music, when would I have time to look at a watch?”

Ever since Star Wars, several times a year I'm reminded of the fact that we are all connected by some 'force' or whatever you want to call it, by some weird common denominator from out of nowhere...

Today this thread is another reminder...

This morning my brother in law (works for me) comes over to me and starts asking "Who's that group, with a song that starts out, sound like water falling or dripping, then a guitar starts in slow, then it gets faster... you'll know it if you hear it!" I had no clue who he was talking about-- about 10 minutes later he's playing songs from 2112... In 40 years I've didn't even know he LIKED Rush! But today something's 'calling' him to search it out...

--and then I open my browser, and find this thread on Rush... Seriously, what are the odds?

As for the question at hand- back in my eardrum killing days, there was a lot of music I listened to, and then there was music I PAID to listen to. I listened to Rush, but never got into them enough to buy an album.

As to 3-man bands, the loudest concert I ever attended-- Grand Funk Railroad. Didn't know there was enough electricity to play those amps that loud! (10th row helped too)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    So many good songs spread across so many albums :-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I always thought Rush was a Led Zeppelin tribute band.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Mike, said clearly to provoke . Rush had nothing to prove. I can see comparisons between yes and other progressive rock bands. They shared many of the same members.

But Rush was on their own island of nebbishy, weird, earnest originality.

Wow! I just learned a new word - nebbishy. I won't say one way or the other whether I think it applies in this case.

I don’t know if I spelled that correctly. Geddy described himself as a nebbishy teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    You're thinking of Greta Van Fleet! Although when I listened to their new CD I thought they had lifted more than a few pages from early Rush's playbook.

-Tom

'...nebbish, which derives from the Yiddish nebekh, meaning "poor" or "unfortunate." '
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's what the studio thought too, until the second album came out, whereupon they became quite confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Pity about Geddy's voice. I saw them on the Time Machine tour and you gotta feel sorry for a guy who has 20 years of material that is too high for him to sing anymore.
    Back in maybe 2002, a professional opera singer told me that there is a danger zone of "over-belting" where a singer can damage their vocal cords due to the way they are singing. This is usually when a singer has not had professional training before their career and signature sound takes off. She used Christina Aguilera as a prime example, who sure enough has dropped off the radar since 2012. Whenever I hear Geddy Lee, I think of this.
    He had to have been way into the red zone on songs like Freewill.

Rush is awesome! I agree with Prashun, they were living on their own fantasy island musically, and especially lyrically. Amazing that three guys could put out that much sound.

I'm the right age, but never got into it - couldn't get past the vocals. So what is the one song that you would recommend to win me over? I'm willing to spend the $1.29 on iTunes to humor you fans.

LOL. Never, in my wildest thoughts would this have ocurred to me and I love both those bands.