Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rush - Love it or Leave it?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I'm the right age, but never got into it - couldn't get past the vocals. So what is the one song that you would recommend to win me over? I'm willing to spend the $1.29 on iTunes to humor you fans.
    The Spirit of Radio, although New World Man was their biggest hit (and many people like The Trees, which to my knowledge was never released as a single; these are very accessible songs.) But they're all over Youtube, and that's free. (Play any track.)
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 02-02-2019 at 3:51 PM.

I'm the right age, but never got into it - couldn't get past the vocals. So what is the one song that you would recommend to win me over? I'm willing to spend the $1.29 on iTunes to humor you fans.
    I'd recommend Closer to the Heart, Working Man, and Train to Bangkok (just for fun)

The popular song is Tom Sawyer, but It was YYZ and La Villa Strangiato that will blow your mind. And these are instrumentals so you don’t have to choke down the Geddular shrieks to begin with. Start with Macallan before Lagavulin.

Geddys voice grew in my mind from cacophonous to tolerable to enjoyable to indispensable over time. The later albums are really hard to take precisely because they lack Ged’s siren wail.

A lot of people love Neils drumming but can stand the lyrics. Starting with yyz or strangiato, you don’t have to be distracted by that if you are not a fan of mythology or Ayn Rand.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-02-2019 at 4:47 PM.

I'm the right age, but never got into it - couldn't get past the vocals.
    Ditto, I never cared for Geddy Lee's voice. Musically, they were great.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Try "Time Stand Still" It is from the 1987 album Hold Your Fire. At that point, Geddy had damaged his voice to the point where he had stopped doing the shrieks on the studio albums, but he could still sing well. Later albums, especially recent ones, he had to do those cringe worthy glissandos to basically cover up the fact that he couldn't sing on key anymore. The lyrics for Time Stand Still are some of Neil's best; not out-there or Rand-oriented, but very a human take on getting older. Note that the video is absolutely awful; the effects are so dated today as to be almost, but not quite, charming.

"Countdown" would be another one. It is from 1982. He hits some high notes in that one, but they aren't screamed like earlier albums. Plus the video is awesome. It is also dated, but in this instance in a very charming way. Both song and video are a tribute to the Space Shuttle back in its heyday.

It is unfortunate, if Geddy would have sung the way he did in the 80s from the start, he probably could still sing today, but then they probably wouldn't have made it in the first place, since Plantesque caterwauling was all the rage when they started out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post

It is unfortunate, if Geddy would have sung the way he did in the 80s from the start, he probably could still sing today, but then they probably wouldn't have made it in the first place, since Plantesque caterwauling was all the rage when they started out.
    Since you've mentioned it, I wonder how Plant has kept his voice intact. Have you heard his performance when the surviving members of Led Zeppelin reunited for Celebration Day in 2007? It's amazing, maybe even better than when he was young. I guess some guys can just defy age, wear and tear.

The Rush documentary mentioned talks about how much physical pain both Neil Peart and Alex Lifeson were enduring in their later tours. Other than for Robert Plant, I'd say being a rock star is a young man's game.

Red Barchetta has always been a favorite.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Since you've mentioned it, I wonder how Plant has kept his voice intact. Have you heard his performance when the surviving members of Led Zeppelin reunited for Celebration Day in 2007? It's amazing, maybe even better than when he was young. I guess some guys can just defy age, wear and tear.
    My guess is partly use and partly technique why as to Plant is in better vocal shape. Rush didn't make it big early in their career like Zeppelin did, and did many years of grueling touring playing over 100 shows a year and recording in between. If I read the numbers right, they did something like 1000 shows between 1973 and 1980, all during Ged's screaming phase. In total they are over 2000 shows. Zeppelin did something like 600 shows in their career, and only did more than 100 shows in 1969, when Plant was about 20 years old. Plant did do some 100+ shows later in his career, but also had many years with very few shows. For various reasons, Plant was better at giving his voice time off to heal over his lifetime.

Also, I think Robert Plant (wisely) didn't strain and push his voice as hard as Geddy. Plant does a lot in his high range and had his trademark hollers and screams, but he typically didn't do entire songs (and concerts) with that vocal chord tearing screech start to finish. I'd also say he has better technique in general. Plant would also vary his range and style during albums and concerts while Geddy stayed in his screaming phase until he was about 28, when presumably years of abuse to his voice caught up with him.

Using your voice less and more gently over your life adds up once you hit your 50s, 60s, and 70s

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Gasp! When I saw the thread title the image of "Rush Limbaugh" hit my brain cells.
    I expected something about chair upholstery. I prefer woven cloth with cotton/wool carpet padding. My wife has learned, from me, to only buy chairs that can be reupholstered with a staple gun. I made two chairs for little ones that are now being used by the original owners for their children. Right height to stand on at the sink and. low enough so your feet touch the floor even before you start grade school. They were only my second biscuit joint projects and they are still unbroken. But I used screws right through the biscuits.
    Bil l

I guess I’m a big fan. My passion for the band waned after the “Moving Pictures” album. After that they kind of lost me. Even so, I have immense respect for their achievements.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Count me as a huge Rush fan as well. I have every album, many on both vinyl and CD. I’ve seen every Rush concert (many multiple times) since Moving Pictures. A very talented band musically, amazing that three guys can make so much music. Sad that they will not be touring any longer. Hemispheres has been my favorite album for many years, but I think the recent Clockwork Angels album is up there as well and a return to the 2112/Hemispheres genre.

I never heard of "Rush". I thought it was a TV show when I read the opening subject line. A while back someone mentioned "Duck Dynasty" to me and I had no clue what that was. I thought perhaps it was about duck hunting.

I don't watch much TV - just the news. And don't follow music. Do occasionally go to the movies.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I know I am dating myself, but my first thought was "Who?", second thought was Rush Limbaugh, but after reading all the posts I have to admit.......I am back to my first thought.

Entertainers are just not on my radar. Meh.

PS: Direct TV just made me change a password, and they said choose your favorite actor, singer, etc. So I chose 'John Wayne'. The operator never heard of him. Hmmm. It's old I am.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    We're talking about The Who now? I do love me some Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    We're talking about The Who now? I do love me some Who.
    “Who Are You?” I Really Want To Know..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney