Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Craftman Jointer .... Yea or Nay?

Old Craftman Jointer .... Yea or Nay?

I've got the opportunity to be given 4" Craftman Jointer, but don't think I want it. I've done without a jointer for a very long time, and question if I'd use it. Currently, I joint an edge with my router table. For surfacing across a board, I use my 15" planer with a sled. Am I missing something?

Although the price sounds right, it's probably not worth your time and effort. For the few times you'll probably use it, you'll likely need a lot more time- sharpening and aligning blades- than you'd save from your current methods. OTOH, you could use it as a cheap trial balloon- see if you like the results coming off a jointer enough to get a "real" one (6" or even 8") down the road.

Blog Entries
    I'd pass. At 4", it's not big enough to do much more than edge jointing & your current method will do a much better job of that anyway.

4" jointers are cute to collect. Not so much to use, unless you make small birdhouses. Then, they're just the right size.
    Jeff

Can't complain about the price and it is worth to see what you are missing, if anything at all. Just taking baby steps! So I'd go for it if I were you and if it doesn't work out, somebody else may benefit if you pass it on for free. If it does work for you, the you might grow onto bigger things later.

Yes. It’s free so it cost you nothing. It’s also a nice intro on fixing up a machine and getting it running. You mess it up no biggie. Old machines are readily available so it’s a nice starter piece to work on. Knowing how the machine works is helpful should it break down when you need it.
    Don

For anything more than free I would say no. I have an old 4 inch jointer somewhere that I fixed up and almost never used afterward. It was just too small to do anything very useful for the size of stuff that I typically work on. Actually, I could probably say the same thing about my 6" jointer now.

Went to see it this morning and hauled it home with me. Not sure I'll ever do anything with it, it doesn't have a motor and I'm not sure I'll spend the money to get one for it. Figured I can move it on, if in time I decide not to monkey with it. The machine appears to be in decent shape and the tables (if that's what they're called) don't seem to have any low spots in them. No rust on it either. I'll give it a good coat of rust inhibitor and put it in my closet until I feel the need to mess with it or dispose of it.

Repurpose the tables for a scary sharp setup, or any other situation where you need a flat surface (small assembly platform?)

John - thanks for the idea. I sharpen on a granite surface plate, but maybe a small assembly table.

Lisa, I think if you have room for it you would find a jointer (even a small one) useful.

With sharp, well adjusted knives it will leave a much better surface than your router table. Straightening edges will go much faster. You can set up your router to do something else.

I have a 16" jointer and an old Sears 6" and use the little one 10 times as much as the big one.

I have an old 5" Montgomery Wards jointer. Everyone says 6" is barely big enough, and you should be for 8" minimum, but I find I'm able to do an awful lot with that little jointer. I wouldn't be without it, and in me small shop, the compact size is a bonus. I think there have been maybe a half-dozen times I wished for a larger jointer in the five years or so I've owned it. For the prince ly sum of 'free' it's well worth playing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Lisa, I think if you have room for it you would find a jointer (even a small one) useful.

With sharp, well adjusted knives it will leave a much better surface than your router table. Straightening edges will go much faster. You can set up your router to do something else.

I have a 16" jointer and an old Sears 6" and use the little one 10 times as much as the big one.

I used to have 4" Craftsman jointer and liked it for jointing cabinet doors and small drawers. Sometimes it's more about having space for it...........I'm sure you could use it sometimes, but if you want it find one with a motor and save some time.

put one grit of sandpaper on one side and another grit on the other and sharpen your chisels?
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I used a benchtop jointer for years. Mostly edges. I found it very useful. If nothing else you wont have to change a router table setup every time you want to do an edge.