Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low profile vs regular profile

John, I may have been using a gouge presented at about a 45 in both directions. The piece was perhaps 5 inches in diameter. The tool rest was shaped like a quarter-circle and very low profile. I had my left index finger on the curved portion of the rest and under the tool and my right hand was controlling the cutting. I probably also had a bit too much too over hang. I had only been turning for a short time when the accident happened.

The thing wrong with that low profile rest (besides being used by a novice in a dangerous manner) is that it wasn't angled back from the ends on the bottom. Also the quarter circle provided a "crush surface" rather than one where a downward force would just push my fingers away. So my left finger had a perfect place to support itself. When I made a full size comfort rest I angled the bottom of the rest back and changed the angle to something closer to like Robust does.

Now I'm more confused! (Not hard, since I'm elderly and feeble-minded. )

You said a skew before, then now a gouge. A bowl gouge? If it was a bowl or similar face turning I'm assuming you must have miss-typed when you said skew since that wouldn't be appropriate for that type of turning. I still don't understand the tool rest - I've seen rests made of curved round rods or steel bent in a horizontal curve to get close to the work. That hold, as you said, was a good one to learn not to use - it's unfortunate you learned the hard way. I'm glad you didn't severe the finger completely.

When I use the left hand to support the tool it's either from the front of the rest as normal (with the fingers completely behind the rest) or from above the work as when turning thin spindles, such as like this, perfectly safe. My left arm is generally resting on the top of the headstock and the left fingers are curved around to support spindle, the "left-hand steady rest" and the thumb adds to the fine control. The tool rest is far enough away from the spindle to avoid pinching the thumb in case I were to go spastic. Any catch would push the tool downward into the rest and away from the finger.

D01_thinning_IMG_5025.jpg

Without more information or diagrams/photos of the rest, work, and hand/tool position it's still hard to imagine how the the vertical size or shape of your tool rest was a major factor in the accident but I'm glad you pointed out some things that beginners can avoid - excessive overhand, don't extend the fingers over the top of the rest. I do like the angled-back design of the Robust rests but mostly for the clearance to get into tight places.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    John, I may have been using a gouge presented at about a 45 in both directions. The piece was perhaps 5 inches in diameter. The tool rest was shaped like a quarter-circle and very low profile. I had my left index finger on the curved portion of the rest and under the tool and my right hand was controlling the cutting. I probably also had a bit too much too over hang. I had only been turning for a short time when the accident happened.

The thing wrong with that low profile rest (besides being used by a novice in a dangerous manner) is that it wasn't angled back from the ends on the bottom. Also the quarter circle provided a "crush surface" rather than one where a downward force would just push my fingers away. So my left finger had a perfect place to support itself. When I made a full size comfort rest I angled the bottom of the rest back and changed the angle to something closer to like Robust does.