Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low profile vs regular profile

Low profile vs regular profile

I notice that Robust has two types of Comfort tool rests. One is labeled low profile and I do not know when it would be used vs the regular profile. Could someone kindly enlighten me?

See my response to Trying to decide on new tool rest. This page.
    C&C WELCOME

Low Profile vs Comfort rests

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I notice that Robust has two types of Comfort tool rests. One is labeled low profile and I do not know when it would be used vs the regular profile. Could someone kindly enlighten me?
    Bernie,

I use both types. What they call the Comfort rest is different than what they call the Low Profile. http://www.turnrobust.com/tool-rests/

The comfort rests, those with the larger curved body, are stronger and better for large things. (Those who use more force than finesse should probably stay away from the low profile rests.) I use the long comfort rest a lot for platters and such. The extra steel is probably better for the long rest to prevent vibration.

I use the low profile rests more since they can get into tighter spots. Robust advertises that spindle turners like them since they can wrap their hands under and around but I have never once used that grip, other than trying it. I generally prefer to turn smaller things so the extra strength of the comfort rest isn't needed. However I do like the 15" comfort rest just for the extra length when turning long, thin spindles (where I'm mostly turning one-handed.)

This beginning student discovered she could slide her arm in the curve of the comfort rest to help with precise tool control for delicate cuts on a piece with corners that required turning a lot of air. (Brent English, the Robust guy, told me last week he does the same thing.)

Kristina_platter_IMG_20171203_174739_798.jpg Kristina_IMG_20171205_182111_870.jpg

These are the ones I keep within reach at my main lathe for the kind of turning I usually do: the 4", 6", 9" low profile and the 15" comfort rest. I have some of the curved rests but rarely use them. I did get their new box rest which I like better for larger boxes than the smaller box rest in the picture, just above and to the right of the 15" rest.

lathe_toolrests_IMG_5751.jpg

JKJ

I turn 90% bowls and purchased the curved Robust Rests about 4 years ago. I have used the inside curved a couple of times and don't remember using the outside curved rest. They sounded like a great idea but I didn't find that much of an advantage. Maybe too old to learn new tricks. I preferer the Comfort style over the Low Profile mainly because I can rest my arm in the curve and not have to remind myself to keep my arm off the top of the rest. One sloppy moment and you hit the far side of the bowl with a gouge and it is carried up, over and slams down on the rest, you get a picture of what would happen if your arm or fingers were between the gouge and the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    I turn 90% bowls and purchased the curved Robust Rests about 4 years ago. I have used the inside curved a couple of times and don't remember using the outside curved rest. ...
    I'd have to check my notes to be sure, but I think it was Glenn Lucas at a TAW symposium a few years ago who showed with drawings and a demonstration that an inside curved rest wasn't as useful as we imagined, at least on the inside bottom. Looks cool though.

Of the two curved rests I have, I've used one exactly once. Maybe I'll give them away or trade for a good story.

JKJ

I'm in the process of looking at new rests. The only downside of the standard profile rest I have come up with, for me at least, is it's not going to be able to placed as deep inside a smaller diameter bowl as well. I don't see their curved rests being much better. Their "J" rest might be a good option as the height of curved part is much thinner so the bottom of the rest shouldn't interfere with the project being turned. If your comfortable turning with your tool extending further over the rest while turning the inside of a bowl it shouldn't be an issue.

But I am not hearing a definitive answer to what benefit there is to the low profile vs the taller profile. (other than it can reach in deeper into a hollow) Since Robust makes both in the same lengths there must be a benefit to them (think$) to make both. And wrapping fingers around the rest does not seem to me to be sufficient . So does anyone know from experience what is the benefit of a low profile tool rest? Or is it just personal preference?

I’ve got both - started with the comfort rests and really like them for roughing. I find my hand/arm nests nicely in the curve. When it comes to finish cuts I always pull out the low profile rest. It allows easier high angle cuts like shear scraping. Actually, I find that once roughing is done I generally pull out the 12” low profile rest and have it in use 90% of the time.

Comfort vs Low Profile Robust rests

As usual, the best one for you depends somewhat on what you turn, how you go about it, and perhaps a bit on your skill level.

To paraphrase and expand on what I wrote earlier in this thread:

The Comfort rests, those with the larger curved body, are stronger and may be better for large things. I use the long comfort rest a lot for platters and such. The extra steel may help prevent vibration, especially with heavy, rough blanks, especially near the ends, and especially those who are still developing their tool control and technique. Notice that Robust doesn't advertise their longest rest (15") in the Low Profile version. I do like the 15" Comfort rest, not for the strength but for the extra length when turning long, thin spindles. The wider curve Comfort rest also allows resting and gliding the hand and even arm in the curve for extra control where needed.

Pros: stronger, perhaps better for heavier work and/or heavy-handed turners, allows supporting hand/arm in curve, available in 15" length.
    Cons: physically larger, won't fit as easily in tighter places, a bit heavier.

The Low Profile rests can get into tighter spots. By tighter spots I mean fit better between the tailstock and the work, between the headstock and the work, on oddly shaped pieces, and inside of hollowed things, especially smaller diameter hollowed things.

Robust advertises that spindle turners like Low Profile rests since they can wrap their hands under and around. I've tried that but don't use it. I generally prefer to turn smaller things and with delicate cuts so I don't need any extra strength the Comfort rest provides. All of my Robust rests are the Low Profile models except for the 15". When I carry tools and things to demos the slightly lighter weight helps a tiny bit. Someone with mobility or strength issues might also like the slightly lighter weight.

Pros: can use a different grip, fits into tighter spots, a bit lighter weight
    Cons: not as strong for heavy work (but you'd still have to work at it or do something wrong to hurt one), no 15" version listed.

Both the Comfort and Low Profile rests:
    Pros: high quality, hardened steel rod on top, small rod so they can be put closer to the work, free replacement in the event of a problem
    Cons: not real cheap

The design must be good since it's been copied a lot by turners and sellers. I have no idea who was first. I have a similar shop-made one that I've had since 2002.

If you can't decide, announce at your turning club that you would like to try both and perhaps someone will invite you to try them. Since you live in a secret, undisclosed location perhaps it's a bit of a trip, but in case it's not you are welcome to visit here and try mine. I live just a bit north of Knoxville TN.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    But I am not hearing a definitive answer to what benefit there is to the low profile vs the taller profile. (other than it can reach in deeper into a hollow) Since Robust makes both in the same lengths there must be a benefit to them (think$) to make both. And wrapping fingers around the rest does not seem to me to be sufficient . So does anyone know from experience what is the benefit of a low profile tool rest? Or is it just personal preference?

Thank you John for you thought out response. Appears that the larger rests will work best for me. I have two shorter comfort rests and find them exactly that - comfortable.
    As far as my secret location.... I did not realize that I my profile did not include my location, which is Wenatchee, Wa. One of the better places to live in the Nothwest unless you like the wet side of the Cascade Mountains. We don,t want it to become too popular so you should be aware that there is possible/probable volcanic activity in the mountains some time in the future. But no hurricanes, tornadoes, humidity , chiggers,... the list goes on.😇

Check out Brent's video on his tool rests, he goes into the purpose of the two profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Bernie,

I use both types. What they call the Comfort rest is different than what they call the Low Profile. http://www.turnrobust.com/tool-rests/

The comfort rests, those with the larger curved body, are stronger and better for large things. (Those who use more force than finesse should probably stay away from the low profile rests.) I use the long comfort rest a lot for platters and such. The extra steel is probably better for the long rest to prevent vibration.

I use the low profile rests more since they can get into tighter spots. Robust advertises that spindle turners like them since they can wrap their hands under and around but I have never once used that grip, other than trying it. I generally prefer to turn smaller things so the extra strength of the comfort rest isn't needed. However I do like the 15" comfort rest just for the extra length when turning long, thin spindles (where I'm mostly turning one-handed.)

This beginning student discovered she could slide her arm in the curve of the comfort rest to help with precise tool control for delicate cuts on a piece with corners that required turning a lot of air. (Brent English, the Robust guy, told me last week he does the same thing.)

Kristina_platter_IMG_20171203_174739_798.jpg Kristina_IMG_20171205_182111_870.jpg

These are the ones I keep within reach at my main lathe for the kind of turning I usually do: the 4", 6", 9" low profile and the 15" comfort rest. I have some of the curved rests but rarely use them. I did get their new box rest which I like better for larger boxes than the smaller box rest in the picture, just above and to the right of the 15" rest.

lathe_toolrests_IMG_5751.jpg

JKJ
    Gotta ask. Where did you get the holder for the dust system air intake? It looks well made and easy to use.

ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Page View Post
    Gotta ask. Where did you get the holder for the dust system air intake? It looks well made and easy to use.
    I use a magnetic base holder made for a dial or test indicator for the machine shop. It's this one, very cheap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5T2ZA8
    holder.jpg

This type uses a single knob to release and tighten three joints at once so it is easy to position. Note that the way I mounted it to the nozzle with a single small bolt is not real sturdy and the arm might have trouble holding a nozzle on a stiffer flexible duct. The duct I use is one you bend and it stays in place which works fine for the holding arm. I might make a better connection some time but the bolt was quick and required no modifications to the arm and just a hole drilled through the nozzle.

BTW, I've bought several of these dial indicator arms for my little machine shop. These are cheap copies of the original, the Noga. I paid over $100 for the Noga and less than $20 each for the HFS version.

BTW2, the dust pickup through that little nozzle is incredible. I'm using a 5hp ClearVue cyclone with the 4" flex connected to a 6" main dust. I've watch fine sanding dust come off the end of a spindle and travel horizontally until it reached the nozzle. Sometimes when turning the chips and dust flying towards me will turn around and get sucked up. And when turning acrylic it's a dream - acrylic tends to make infinitely long strands of plastic that wrap around work and have to be pulled/cut off often. The DC will catch the end of the strand and pull in the entire length as it comes off the tool! It will also pick up sandpaper and things I don't hold onto...

JKJ

Low profile versus high profile?

Long story - - I had made something similar to a low profile rest. I was using a skew to shear cut. I was using my left index finger as part of the support for the skew along with my right hand. I was on the far left side of my rest. I got a bad catch and it caused my skew to jump over the left side of my tool rest. The skew was forced downward. My index finger was supported at its tip and then the skew hit the middle of my finger. It shattered the "distal" joint BADLY. About $15K of surgery and therapy and a bunch of pain.

So I learned two things - - (1) don't try cutting to the far sides of a tool rest and (2) never let your digits be in a position where they could get crushed. I don't use that tool rest any more. The regular "comfort rest" provides a bunch more protection. So, I would vote for the regular tool rest rather than the narrow one.

I don't understand just what went wrong. You said you were cutting on the left side of the tool rest then the catch forced the tool over the left side of the tool rest. Do you mean the skew went off the left END of the left side?

Even if you were working on the very end of the rest (dangerous with any tool if you misjudge) it's hard to understand how a different rest shape would have mattered. (Maybe a photo or description of the "similar to" a low profile rest would be helpful.)

In all my years of using the skew I've never had it "jump" over anything and can't imagine it going anywhere but down and away from the finger if you stick the long point into the spindle unless the finger was wrapped around, under, and up between the rest and the work. When supporting with the left hand my entire hand and finger is always above the work and rest, regardless of the type of rest.

Also, I'm curious about what the spindle diameter was, the size of the skew, and the type of cut. Planing cut? Facing? V-groove? Just trying to understand the whole situation.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Low profile versus high profile?

Long story - - I had made something similar to a low profile rest. I was using a skew to shear cut. I was using my left index finger as part of the support for the skew along with my right hand. I was on the far left side of my rest. I got a bad catch and it caused my skew to jump over the left side of my tool rest. The skew was forced downward. My index finger was supported at its tip and then the skew hit the middle of my finger. It shattered the "distal" joint BADLY. About $15K of surgery and therapy and a bunch of pain.

So I learned two things - - (1) don't try cutting to the far sides of a tool rest and (2) never let your digits be in a position where they could get crushed. I don't use that tool rest any more. The regular "comfort rest" provides a bunch more protection. So, I would vote for the regular tool rest rather than the narrow one.