Thread: moulder quality and recs

moulder quality and recs

Looking to buy a new moulder for some specialized production. Had one a number of years ago, but it seemed that the top and bottom heads never kept the alignment precision I needed. I will buy used, and wonder if there are any suggestions as to great quality, ie precision. The alignment of the cut needs to be perfect, easily reproducible after changing tooling. Preferably, I would like the distance between the top and bottom heads to be close together so that there is less distance/time for the wood to get out of alignment, resulting in a poor cut. Perhaps some of the smaller newer machines would fit the bill? Looking at ~ 500-1000 LF daily, so not heavy use. TIA- Dean

It is critical to have your machine setup properly and maintained to avoid alignment issues. Not speaking of just the setup for the profile but the machine in general. It must be place on sturdy base and leveled as a rigid fixture. Move the machine a little bit..... Then things get out of whack and you'll have to go thru the leveling process all over again.

Thanks Bill, I wasn't aware that. That may have been a problem originally as well