Thread: Vibratory metal polishing- school me

Blog Entries

Vibratory metal polishing- school me

I have a lot of bronze sand cast parts needing to be polished. I have sanded them smooth, and thought this would be an excuse to buy a vibratory polisher. I threw in a sample that I had already polished on one side so I could better see how much the abrasive was cutting. After 1.5 hours in 220 grit, there is no difference in either the sanded side or the polished side.

Do I need to let it go for many hours? Am I expecting too much? I thought this would make final polishing easier and also get into those cracks and crevices where it’s hard to reach. I wasn’t expecting to get them shiny- I was going to vibrate them through 1000 grit, then hand sand to 3200, then buff. My expectation was just to even out the scratch pattern a little more at each level of grit. I’m seeing nothing at all. I could go longer, but thought I would ask here because I thought after 1.5 hours there would be at least some difference.

Here is a similar unit to mine. I didn’t pay that much, but looks the same.

740CAE64-3A08-4016-A4B7-177B092AE640.jpg

Machines like this are for deburring. Polishing requires tumbling with liquid and abrasive and only works for convex shapes. I do this kind of job with abrasive laden rag wheels on a pedestal grinder in increasing grades, then sisal wheels, and finally soft cloth wheels with polishing compound. This gets you a mirror finish to either leave as is, or go on to nickel and chrome plate or whatever other finish may be required. Cheers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Machines like this are for deburring. Polishing requires tumbling with liquid and abrasive and only works for convex shapes. I do this kind of job with abrasive laden rag wheels on a pedestal grinder in increasing grades, then sisal wheels, and finally soft cloth wheels with polishing compound. This gets you a mirror finish to either leave as is, or go on to nickel and chrome plate or whatever other finish may be required. Cheers
    Thanks for the reply. That’s what I have always done, but was hoping this would help get into the areas that are hard to reach. Well- now I have a vibratory polisher for maybe cleaning things? It was a fairly cheap experiment. I will chalk it up as a learning experience!

I think that it depends on what you are polishing and the material that you polish with.
    I do some reloading and use a vibratory polisher for the brass cases.
    Now that you have one, you can experiment with different media and it may require several progressive stages.
    Regardless, I would rather have a polisher do the work than sit there at a grinder if possible.

Chris
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    I think that it depends on what you are polishing and the material that you polish with.
    I do some reloading and use a vibratory polisher for the brass cases.
    Now that you have one, you can experiment with different media and it may require several progressive stages.
    Regardless, I would rather have a polisher do the work than sit there at a grinder if possible.

Chris
    I'm not even sure what the media is, but I ordered 220, 500, and 1000. I'm polishing bronze. I was just hoping to get to the cracks and crevices more than anything, so no big deal to do it with a sander and buffer. I expected probably this wasn't going to have great results, but I didn't expect to see no visible change with the 220.