Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brr!

Just a bit up the road from Tom, and we’re showing positive 9 degrees at the moment. Things look balmy for the weekend and yes, it’s going to be quite the meltdown. At least it gives the local news something to panic about. Nothing like a good flood to follow up snowmageddon and death risk cold
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 01-31-2019 at 3:20 PM.

Right now it is a nice 42 degrees and sunny in my town. However, I remember back a few years when I was living in Helena MT. January 31, 198 the temp at 5 a.m. was about 48 degrees. I was seeing a few drivers off on their routes. Trees were actually starting to bud out it had been so warm. Then a cold front moved in from the north and by midnight it was around -24. On Feb 2, at about 4:30 a.m. 48 train cars 'escaped' from a parked train that was changing engines on Mullan Pass and came flying down the tracks. They his a parked work train at one of the main crossings in Helena. One of the cars that was hit was a tanker filled with hydrogen peroxide, plus one filled with an alcohol of some type. The resulting explosion took out most windows in a one mile radius. The crossing was was right next to Carrol College and every window in the women's dorm was broken. The temp at the time was -32. We went almost a week never exceeding -20 for a high temp, with lows being around -30. There are videos of the fire fighters trying to put out the fires using water. Basically they were spraying ice cubes at the fire. Many houses / businesses lost power and thus heat for several days. Many, many frozen pipes that Montana Rail Link paid for. Here is a link to a story about it.

https://wikivisually.com/wiki/1989_Helena_train_wreck

Diesel fuel, even #1, gels at about -25 with additives, as I recall. So many tractors were stuck with engines not running due to gelled fuel that every repair shop was buried. Wreckers worked non-stop for days.

When it hits about -15 to -20, you can tell because the hairs in your nose freeze up. Never fun.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

It is a toasty -5F here now. Warmest it has been since Tuesday morning. Mid 30s forecast for this weekend, tee shirt and shorts weather.

-31F at dawn today. Coldest we've seen in a couple of decades. Rain in the 40s predicted for this coming weekend. Was 50F 3 weeks ago. If I have a single living fruit bud in the orchard and vineyard by April, it'll be a miracle. They can take the cold, but not the seesaw.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    -33F is insanely cold for Quad Cities. Lots of plants and little critters that far South that won't survive that.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 01-31-2019 at 6:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    My wife told me one of the 3 TV channels within the Quad Cities reported -35 this morning.

Yep, I just looked, and that's where we bottomed out at 9:00AM today, before it started warming up. I hadn't realized it was still getting colder when I looked at sunrise.

My weather station recorded a low temp of -18 degrees overnight and a wind chill of -35. And the peak wind gust was 35 MPH. So I had to plow my driveway again, not because it snowed but because of wind drifts. My next door neighbor had one over 3 feet in her driveway.

I am also in the area of our governor's request to turn down the thermostat to 65 due to the fire at a Consumer's Power building. But I have propane instead of natural gas and so decided to stay at my normal warmth.