Thread: Delta 52-866 jointer

Blog Entries

Delta 52-866 jointer

Edit: model is 37-866. 52-866 is the model number of the base.

I bought a delta 52-866 jointer today off CL. For me, it was a steal. I live In Hilo, Hawaii. You can’t get anything here. I’m on an island, and not the main one. There are no tools in a retail setting available, except Borg, and you can’t even ship here through woodcraft rockler etc..

either way, I don’t have 220v for tools and not much extra space either so a jointer like this is what I was looking for.

any way, I got it for $300 and couldn’t be happier. There were 3 jointers on CL all of last year that I saw. One being a total piece of junk dj-20 where the guy wanted $750, looked like it was stored outside for years...

anyway, what can you all tell me about it? Not much about this jointer online, a lot more info available about the the DJ series and even the 52-866x. From what I gather it was manufactured in the late 90’s or early 2000’s, in China.

I checked the outfeed table for flatness and both tables for co planar before I bought it, and no problems there. It runs smoothly. It is missing a bolt on the fence assembly and the outfeed table plastic adjustment knob is cracked, I can deal with it.

The blades are hammered. Send them out for sharpening, spend as much as I did on the jointer for a shelix head?? Buy a jig to sharpen them myself? I can’t seem to find knives online but I’m sure you all can tell me what blades for a similar machine will fit. Anything else to watch out for? I am thinking of going with the jig because it’ll serve me in the future but so will the Byrd head.

also, dust collection is non existent. It has a rectangle opening that ejects the shaving. I assume there is a simple fitting or shop made one that can address this. Is there?

i took a drill attached wire brush and cleaned up the tables and waxed them, other than that just cleaned the machine up. Didn’t check the motor or belts etc as it runs fine.

A test run run was satisfactory for me, given the blades and other adjustments needed. It made a very twisted face flat and squared up the board. Now for the fine tuning..

all advice welcome. Thank you

01158BBA-CA10-4FA7-8FF3-168ACF52C2E0.jpg
    Last edited by Zac wingert; 01-31-2019 at 3:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ok, apparently, the 52-866 refers to the closed stand it came with and the actual model number is probably a 36-xxx or 37-xxx type number so I’d also welcome any ID as to the actual model number as well. Thank you in advance
    E1E5A246-8D20-463F-8958-10BF2730AED9.jpg

Edit: the
    model number is 37-866.
    Last edited by Zac wingert; 01-31-2019 at 3:55 AM.

​Considering the market, you did just fine. Just get a set of blades from amazon and I’m sure you can set them yourself. Plenty of threads and videos on that. There’s a plastic adapter to pipe into dust collection. All the usual sources will have them, under $10. Might have to drill/tap to affix it. I used rare earth magnets with mine with no trouble. Looks like the hard part is done, all the cleaning.