Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Sellers Artisan Courses

Paul Sellers Artisan Courses

First, I intend this thread to be a discussion place for folks who respect the mentor but didn't drink the Kool-Aid. I am confident there is a ton of online support for artisan students on the Paul Seller's web presence, haven't looked, I like my cookies made of wheat and butter and chocolate.

I was a carton a week smoker until the end of October 2018. I quit caffeine on 10-27-18, alcohol on 10-29-18 and tobacco on 10-29-18. Three months on, hobby joinery is way less expensive than smoking as much as I did. I did run out of nicotine gum 01-25-19 and i have had a couple beers, but I am not going back.

For folks who want to "do woodworking" and not spend a bunch of time restoring antique tools, I suggest the trading post area here.

I chose to pursue joinery as I have built one boat and want my second boat to come out better. My personal google searches lead me to Paul Sellers on youtube, Chris Schwarz on workbenches and sawmill creek on everything else.

Besides wee boxes to hold your bench planes and spoke shave, and a chisel rack for you bench, I am ecstatic with the adjustable shaving horse plans I found on popular woodworking dot com.

So far I have made quadrant spatulas and spoons in poplar, doug fir, walnut, beech, hard maple, flat sawn white oak, flat sawn red oak, cherry, ash and hickory. Ten. Eight of those contributed BTUs to my heating my home.

I made a round "cutting board" out of Doug Fir, but I am also putting legs on it to make a saw sharpening stool.

I am on page 62 in the 1-2 artisan book.

So far, i am glad to be trying several different woods on easy projects, even though it ends up as incredibly expensive firewood. All but one of the castille soaps I can buy local use coconut oil. I do have some "kiss my face" brand soap that is olive oil, water ans salt only as delivered.

if you are in my boat, just speak up. Running spoke shave on a shaving horse beats the tar out of running a 4 1/2 on a slow release vise.

I happen to think boat building is very rewarding and know several people that have done that in most impressive ways. Hard to imagine a better way to enjoy your woodwork. You do need more space than building furniture. One guy I know has a wharehouse where he built his 30 ft sailboat.

So you built a boat and now you are making spoons to stir your koolaid?
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

3. I've been subscribed to Paul Seller' Woodworking Masterclasses website for a number of years now, and I really like it. I don't see myself cancelling my subscription any time soon because I have gotten so much out of his teachings.

I am not a subscriber, but I've watched all of his free YouTube stuff. He's the real deal. I've learned a lot from him. Plus he's a genuinely nice guy. I may subscribe to the Masterclasses one of these days.

When they first came out, my wife bought me the DVD's and book as a gift. I've watched the DVD's and still go back and re-watch, even though I was much advanced past everything on them. Apart from the weird, repeating visuals and sounds, I found them excellent for basic and intermediate instruction. Many parts I agreed with, some not, but that's to be expected. In my opinion, the book was excellent, and I like his approach.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    I attended classes at Homestead Heritage in Waco, Texas many years ago and Paul Sellers was the instructor.
    He is the real deal. I just wish I was the woodworker he is. I learned to use hand tools from him and my shop is full of power and hand tools. I like the freedom it gives me.

Every so often some one on this forum tries to denigrate Paul, but it dose not work.

I found Paul's website a couple of months ago. I subscribed, even though I've only been working on one of his free builds. I believe in what he's trying to do and want to support it. He is the real deal!

YES he is real deal..No frills just solid, practical advice..
    Jerry

First, I intend this thread to be a discussion place for folks who respect the mentor but didn't drink the Kool-Aid ... I chose to pursue joinery as I have built one boat and want my second boat to come out better. My personal google searches lead me to Paul Sellers on youtube, Chris Schwarz on workbenches and sawmill creek on everything else ...So far, i am glad to be trying several different woods on easy projects, even though it ends up as incredibly expensive firewood.
    Hi Scott

Woodworking is an activity of great passion - the largest hobby is the world, someone mentioned - and the reason is understandable ... many grow up today without being hands-on, especially in our computer-driven age, discover this outlet later, and then connect with their inner child who wants to create and explore. I'm certainly one of those children. The workshop is my sandpit. There are many, many others on this forum who feel the same way.

I have mixed feelings about Paul Sellers. The good is that I view him as a good craftsman and good teacher, and the values he preaches are moral and honest. It is important to recognise that he aims at the beginner, and includes many jigs and guides to aid the beginner. At some point you are expected to move on. The negative for me is that his package is bound up in his sugar sweet philosophy of "lifestyle woodworking", and this is a little too sugar sweet and transparent as a business model. In addition, he comes across on his blog, especially, as not being open to alternate views and opinion. I have had a number of posts deleted from his blog without an attempt at discussion. It is his way or the highway.

I like Chris Schwarz as well. I think that we have a lot to thank him for in regard to raising awareness of historical techniques and linking to authors who have dropped from view. He is not an original contributor, and he is not the worlds best furniture maker (he is a good woodworker, and practised in a few favoured areas), but he is a great teacher and motivator. I love his humour and that he is not up himself.

I am sure that there would be a lot of interesting contributions here if we asked the forum for favourite woodworking videos and books - who/what has inspired you to spend time in your workshop?

Making shavings is the best way to develop technique. It's such fun, too

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice part about reading his blogs......is his stories about George.....and you even pick up a tip or too, while reading along.

I enjoyed Paul's early videos as well as blog posts, but not his last year or two years' because the freshness is no longer there. He more or less he covers the same things just in different projects. His blog posts aee often skipped as they become lecture-like.

But as Derek points out, Paul is closed minded about methods and techniques that he does not use. The recent example about using coping saw is one. As skilled as he is, his is not always the better way. His experience is limited to what he has done, but boy, the woodworking world is much larger than what he has been exposed to.

He is undeniably a very effective teacher (but not a writer).

Simon

My inspiration for woodworking came from Jame Krenov. I had always dabbled at woodworking, but without really knowing what I was doing. Then I read one of Krenov's books. I don't remember which one. What an an awakening moment. I had expected just another woodworking book describing this and that technique, what were the best tools to use, how much this kind of wood would shrink/expand under this or that temperature/humidity condition, etc. etc. Dry, sterile, kind of like visiting a hospital. I fell in love with his books (I have all of them) and his philosophy of woodworking; basically a love of creating something beautiful and useful from wood. I applied for and was accepted to his Fine Woodworking School at Fort Bragg, California. Other than marrying my wife and having several children, going to this school and understanding more about the serenity of woodworking was the best thing I have done.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Nice part about reading his blogs......is his stories about George.....and you even pick up a tip or too, while reading along.
    Is George his son?
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I like some of Mr. Sellers' techniques, others not so much. But that's pretty much a norm for anyone that I see/watch/etc. Agree with others that he is pretty inflexible, which is a huge turn off for me. Pick what you like from folks, sift the other stuff and roll on.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA