Thread: Stifling Us

Stifling Us

recently put my email up as someone asked me to contact him for a computer issue and found there is no more PM. Realize its not perfect to do that however plan was it goes up hes still on the site shortly and I take it down.

Sad because the PM has done some good things over the years, Ive met some briliant people and some great people whos focus is on the quality in what they do. In another case I got scammed on a car and an email to a US forum where a guy hadnt posted in years and a request to find him I had an email the next day. He wasnt on the site for years. He then came by and scanned my car, found the codes it threw, decoded them and also discovered the service engine light had been defeated. Have to give the guy credit that scammed me, he was a proficient weasel.

Ive met some great humans on the PM thing and when we are talking trade its been way easier to communicate through the less clunky format these sites run in.

Why was the PM taken away?

That topic is covered in this thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ess-Priviliges
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

All it takes is to become a paying member to have PM privileges. Unless it has changed you can do that for as little as 50 cents per month. (6 US Dollars per year) Is it not worth that to you?

I feel like Keith made a legitimate business decision. I think halting PM priviledges for non-contributors is impacting information exchange among board users. And it has already caused at least one knowlegeable member to withdraw from the site. Both of those are a stinkin' shame. But there's a problem financing this site and he's doing his best to weather that storm. To his credit, he's trying different approaches rather than jumping straight to a subscription-only model.

Remember: There was a time he came close to shutting SMC down totally and member contributions saved it. It sorta sounds like things are getting tight again and your $6 contribution can help.

FWIW & YMMV of course,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-30-2019 at 8:59 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I can't stop people from using advertising blocking. Since 2005 we have relied on advertising to pay the majority of the bills here and believe it or not I cannot pay the bills from my personal finances or from the profit from my sign company.

The majority of the people here are now using advertising blocking software so our only source to replace the funding we have lost from advertising is remove free access and expect those who participate here to provide the funds. If enough people do not help us pay the bills I will be forced to move to a subscription based system where only Subscribers are able to participate.

If everything here is provided for free there is no reason for the majority to help us pay the bills. This is not my decision to make its yours.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-31-2019 at 3:21 PM. Reason: SP

Is it REALLY that much of a hardship to lay out a penny and a half per day for all the benefits you receive from SMC? How much do you pay for your cell phone? Or a cuppa coffee? And just turn off your ad blocker when visiting the site. Sheesh.

Want to sell the forum?

Martin,

I've had offers from many companies who want to purchase The Creek, several times per year for the last five years.
    Make me an offer if you would like to but I have never seriously considered selling SawMill Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Martin,

I've had offers from many companies who want to purchase The Creek, several times per year for the last five years.
    Make me an offer if you would like to but I have never seriously considered selling SawMill Creek.
    I'm guessing if you've had multiple offers by people that are more capable of establishing a value than I am, and none of them were high enough to be taken seriously. My value wouldn't be high enough.

I pitched in a Jackson last time. Maybe I will add a Hamilton to that jackson this time.

Martin,

I for one would hate to see you sell out to some company. I've seen that happen in my gun forums and it just didn't go well. SMC is a great site as it is. But I admit I need to go pony up to help spread the cost of running it. Will do that soon.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I promise you that SawMill Creek is a labor of love. If it was only about money I would unplug our server or sell it and spend much more time in my shop making signs. On the other hand I am trying my very best to remain at least semi-retired and enjoy life more, less work and more recreation. Marshall is right, a change in ownership of SawMill Creek would definitely bring major changes because the new owner would mainly be interested in financial gain. We just had our 16th anniversary on February 12th, I think I can go a few more years as long as I have everyone's support.

Williamson West Virginia, the Kentucky state line is just on the other side of the CVS Pharmacy building. The picture was taken just after lunch and I'm not sure why I have a scowl on my face, we had the best time riding to Williamson from Logan WVA and the return trip was even better.
    Williamson WVA Keith sm.jpg

This is a photo capture from a video so its not the best quality. My friend (in the yellow helmet) and I were riding with a group of eight machines and eleven people. It was very muddy and cold on this trip but we always enjoy our time in the Mountains and hills of WVA.
    Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 4.14.29 AM copy.jpg

If you send me a Private Message or an email and I don't answer for a couple of days this is probably the reason why. I have been trail riding in West Virginia for about three years now with an old friend of mine. We ride as often as we can, these two pictures were taken in December 2018 and February 2019, our first Winter rides.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-18-2019 at 8:55 AM.

I promise you that SawMill Creek is a labor of love. If it was only about money I would unplug our server and spend much more time in my shop making signs. On the other hand I am trying my very best to remain at least semi-retired and enjoy life more, less work and more recreation.

Williamson WVA Keith sm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 4.14.29 AM copy.jpg

If you send me a Private Message or an email and I don't answer for a couple of days this is probably the reason why. I have been trail riding in West Virginia for about three years now with an old friend of mine. We ride as often as we can, these two pictures were taken in December 2018 and February 2019, our first Winter rides.
    That's awesome Keith. Enjoy yourself while you can.

I retired last year and got caught up in the idea that I needed a blog to support my woodworking. I let designing and creating a blog become almost another job for me. I decided this weekend to drop that line of thinking and build something instead. Much more enjoyable way of spending my retirement.

I just checked and I still have PM privileges and a blog on SMC. So, I guess I contributed at least once and then forgot about it. Is there anyway to check the contribution level and when it expires? I'm guessing its probably time to donate again.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Enjoy your time in the woods Keith!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”