Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calipers

You guys and fractions, that's so last century

I use a Mitutoyo digital caliper, works great since I work in metric...........I assume that a digital caliper in fractions displays the closest fraction in 64ths of an inch?

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    You guys and fractions, that's so last century

I use a Mitutoyo digital caliper, works great since I work in metric...........I assume that a digital caliper in fractions displays the closest fraction in 64ths of an inch?

regards, Rod.
    Fractions on digital calipers are about useless to me. Those I have start displaying the fraction a little before and stop displaying a little after the actual dimension. If I want to see if something is close to a specific fraction I have to move the caliper back and forth and look for the number. The dial calipers are so much quicker - one glance and I can see if something is precisely a specific fraction or if over or under, about how much.

I use both metric and decimal in the wood and metal shop, but the fractions are nice when dealing with things that come in fractions such as bolts and nuts and drill bits and things like acrylic rods and sheets.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Gonzalez View Post
    I have, and use, dial, vernier, and digital calipers. In the shop I've been using a Starrett dial caliper with fractions reading. Works well.
    Since Starrett switched their caliper manufacturing to China, I've preferred Mitutoyo calipers. They're still made in Japan. My 30-year-old Mitutoyo dial caliper is as accurate as it ever was. In the woodshop, in my pocket, and anywhere else.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 02-01-2019 at 3:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have the Starrett fractional dial caliper. I started getting worried that the dirt and dust in the shop would cause it to fail so I bought the iGaging fractional dial caliper. It's really excellent - as accurate as the Starrett and operates pretty much the same (feel). I use that one in my shop now and don't worry about whether it will get gunked up. I see it's $30 now.

Mike
    Mike, I had the same concerns so I keep it in it's case and in a drawer. Hopefully this will alleviate the dust messing it up.

had a mititoyuo for at least 30 years, and used and abused always in a bad enviroment and still works perfect. Very high quality device and batteries last a long time in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Gonzalez View Post
    Mike, I had the same concerns so I keep it in it's case and in a drawer. Hopefully this will alleviate the dust messing it up.
    I keep mine in its case in a drawer in my mechanic's toolbox. I still use it, but for a lot of work, I now use the iGaging caliper. I found that the iGaging was accurate.

I have a number of Mitutoyo tools and agree that they're very good tools. I don't have one of their calipers because I like the fractional dial calipers and I don't think they make one of those.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I keep mine in its case in a drawer in my mechanic's toolbox. I still use it, but for a lot of work, I now use the iGaging caliper. I found that the iGaging was accurate.

I have a number of Mitutoyo tools and agree that they're very good tools. I don't have one of their calipers because I like the fractional dial calipers and I don't think they make one of those.

Mike
    I have a Mitutoyo and an older Starrett and while both are accurate (I can't tell any difference between either and the iGaging or another digital I have) I like the feel of the Mitutoyo better than either of the others.

JKJ

never worried about dust or anything for that matter.

afd.jpg

That iGauging fractional/digital seems like a great idea for someone stuck, like most of us, with using fractions for some items. Going to be accurate enough for woodworking and even measuring associated items like drill bits, etc. With 1" per revolution and each line on the dial being 0.01", it is never going to be as accurate as a machinist dial caliper where they would have 0.1" per revolution and one line being 0.001". Seems like it might be about perfect for woodworking.
    I saw Starrett had a simliar idea on one but it had 0.1" markings on the body of the caliper and the iGauging has fractions on the body. That Starrett is made in China so is certainly no better in quality than the iGauging and far more expensive. I hope some of the Starrett caliper manufacturing is still in the US with their super high quality. I know all of their digital calipers are made in China and nobody wants those anymore.
    It seems Mitutoyo simply owns the high quality caliper market at this point. Warren's experience above is typical. I have the newer version of that caliper and it is still on the original battery at almost 3 years. It is accurate well under 0.0005" up to 4" and hits a max error of 0.0005" at 5.65-6". Simply amazing accuracy. If you want better dust/water/oil protection than that one, they also make them in IP67 protection. Also offer carbide jaws on OD part or both OD/ID.

I forget when I bought these. At that time Mitutoyo was considered a cheaper manufacturer, but really good for the money. They're digital, as well as standard reading, and the battery lasts almost forever. Checked to old Starret standards, they're still dead on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I still find the cheap ones useful too.

Tom, I started with one pretty nearly identical to the one you just showed...but found out the hard way it wasn't quite as accurate as expected once I got the sturdier iGuaging caliper plus their thickness gage. I had been having some anomalies show up on some CNC work which is why I bought the additional units. That said, the inexpensive versions are just fine for non-CNC woodworking, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,
    If you have a "Mitutoyo" that looked like the one Tom shows in his last post, there is a reason you didn't find it incredibly accurate. Those are counterfeit. Sadly, Mitutoyo is the most heavily counterfeited item.
    Here is the new version of the micrometer Tom showed and the real version of the caliper. Both on the same 0.02000 Micrometer Calibration Standard.
    Interesting the most common counterfeit calipers have the fourth digit shown smaller where the real Mitutoyo show the last digit full size. I actually think it makes more sense to show it smaller since it is actually 0 or 5. Half a thousandth, not an actual ten thousandth of course.
    .Mits-onCal.jpg
    Some of the counterfeited Mitutoyo calipers are quite useful since some of them are pretty accurate and can be bought at about $8 in quantity. This is what most of the new, or even lightly used, units are on eBay. Sadly, even Amazon.

Edited to add:
    I meant to comment on your use of calipers as you mentioned the fourth digit aka tenths or ten thousandths as in 0.0001". There is no caliper that is accurate to tenths. Even really accurate ones state 0.001 for smaller sizes although the ones above show a fourth digit. That digit is actually a 0 or 5. The display of "5" in the last place just mean three digits plus a bit but not enough to read the next thousandth. Even on calipers like those that spec accurate to 0.001" but have the fourth digit, you would not want to make any assumptions about tenths without buying ones with a calibration cert or by checking them against standard. Even good micrometers have a tough time with accuracy at tenths as there is a lot of feel and technique involved in accurately measuring tenths.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 02-02-2019 at 12:46 PM.

No, it wasn't a Mitutoyo...it was a cheap one. It was off "just enough" to cause problems with my particular application, but otherwise, it would be just fine for general woodworking.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Jim,
    If you have a "Mitutoyo" that looked like the one Tom shows in his last post, there is a reason you didn't find it incredibly accurate. Those are counterfeit.

Some of the counterfeited Mitutoyo calipers are quite useful since some of them are pretty accurate and can be bought at about $8 in quantity. This is what most of the new, or even lightly used, units are on eBay. Sadly, even Amazon.
    If you do a google search of "counterfeit mitutoyo calipers" there's a lot of discussion about it. I haven't heard of amazon itself as a vendor selling fakes, but I suppose it could happen. It's good to be able to check.