Thread: LN 140 skew block plane

LN 140 skew block plane

Hello, I recently picked up a LN skew block, but it doesn’t seem to conform to any of the models they may have sold over the years.
    From what I can tell it’s white bronze cap, fence and side plate. And the body is iron. It’s all a bit short then the current model at 6-5/8 long.
    any idea if this was a special edition or something. Also the knob is rosewood
    Here are some pics.
    Thank you.

I don't think it's a Lie Nielsen, although it may be one of their cutters. I've never seen one in iron from them.

Edit: I stand corrected. I found records suggesting they used to make this in ductile iron.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 01-30-2019 at 1:41 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    LN also has had custom knobs in the past.

Currently rosewood is listed on CITES. (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species)

Changes in manufacture or parts replacements likely account for your plane being a little different in looks and length.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just was not sure if it was a Special edition, or some kind of one off.
    I think they has a LN2003 but not sure how it looked and I think all special editions had numbered lever caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio Celenza View Post
    Just was not sure if it was a Special edition, or some kind of one off.
    I think they has a LN2003 but not sure how it looked and I think all special editions had numbered lever caps.
    I might reach out to the folks at Lie Nielsen. They’ve always been very responsive to my inquiries.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I might reach out to the folks at Lie Nielsen. They’ve always been very responsive to my inquiries.
    I took that advise and asked. They sugggest it might been a limited run for fine tool journal or woodcraft back in early 2000s
    thanks

Just an FYI, I have a LN 140LH in ductile iron.

I have a white bronze LN N0.1 plane from the Fine Tool Journal. They are the likely the original source for your plane as well.