Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now THIS is a nice "job-site saw"

Now THIS is a nice "job-site saw"

I took a little drive yesterday after being contacted by my cousin's son (my second cousin, he is) who is working on a new home project in the western suburbs of Philadelphia. They want some CNC work done for a beautiful walnut lined library room in the structure and while one part is pretty straight forward, there needed to be discussion about another part of that work in-person. And of course, I got the full tour of the exquisite...and absolutely huge...structure which is in the final throws of interior finish. The place looks like it's been there for hundreds of years, too, minus a little dirt/moss, at least for now.

At any rate, my cousin wanted to show me "his shop" down in the basement level. In addition to the site-cut black walnut walls and ceiling in the library, he's building all the doors on-site from the same material. When we walked into the space....this is the "job site saw" that I beheld in my vision:

IMG_3614.jpg

He said that the owner, who is also GC-ing the work, asked him what he really needed to to the best work. And that's what they got.

Here's one of the doors in-progress. Laminated via vacuum bag, assembled with Dominos, and both wood panel and glass panel versions throughout.

IMG_3615.jpg

And this is a quick shot of the front exterior of the "tiny" home...four levels, an elevator, a 4 (or 5) attached car garage, a separate apartment for a family member, etc. "Yuge"...
    IMG_3616.jpg

I will certainly post photos of the library if I get the work...which is seeming more likely since the owner and his boss (spouse) are stopping by on Saturday after touring the Nakashima compound nearby and dropping off some material and talking more about design for the appliqué work I quoted.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Wow! Site cut black walnut, another plus for the chosen site. Taken off-site, milled and kiln dried I presume?
    NOW you tell me...

Living the dream.

Blog Entries
    Awesome, thanks for showing that, Jim!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Wow! Site cut black walnut, another plus for the chosen site. Taken off-site, milled and kiln dried I presume?
    No, cut down on-site, milled on-site (by someone from Hearne with a Woodmizer as my cousin used to work for them), stacked and dried on-site. It's beautiful stuff. The owner actually prefers minor defects and doesn't eschew sapwood, either. That library is going to be one awesome room. The theme for the elements that I'm hoping to produce is the magnolia. There's a huge magnolia tree just outside the large windows of that room and the idea is to bring that into the room, too. Coffered ceiling and completely paneled walls. They were just starting to apply the first coat of oil to the wood when I arrived yesterday, starting with the ceiling. I hope I get to "take tea and biscuits" in that room someday! LOL

--

Brian, if I get this job, when I deliver the work, you're coming with me. I know you'll really enjoy it and I want to introduce these folks to you because of some things you do. Right now, they actually live near you. I'll fill you in when you visit soon for you-know-what.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-30-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    --

What a shack!

When I read the thread title, I figured you were going to provide a link to this job site saw:

https://youtu.be/VrMfU_su8iM

I'd love to find someone here who has used one and could offer comments.

Brent
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Wow! You'll get spoiled in a hurry having a "jobsite saw" like that on site. I love walnut.
    Jeff

It's not named Bucks County for no reason! The outside looks like some old homes I've seen over near Wilmington, DE. I hope you get permission to take some photos of the interior should you get the job, at least the room(s) you'll be working on. I need clients like that.

Your second cousin is going to be mighty disappointed to go back to his own tools after that job unless he's lucky enough to have something similar.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    No, cut down on-site, milled on-site (by someone from Hearne with a Woodmizer as my cousin used to work for them), stacked and dried on-site. It's beautiful stuff. The owner actually prefers minor defects and doesn't eschew sapwood, either. That library is going to be one awesome room. The theme for the elements that I'm hoping to produce is the magnolia. There's a huge magnolia tree just outside the large windows of that room and the idea is to bring that into the room, too. Coffered ceiling and completely paneled walls. They were just starting to apply the first coat of oil to the wood when I arrived yesterday, starting with the ceiling. I hope I get to "take tea and biscuits" in that room someday! LOL

--

Brian, if I get this job, when I deliver the work, you're coming with me. I know you'll really enjoy it and I want to introduce these folks to you because of some things you do. Right now, they actually live near you. I'll fill you in when you visit soon for you-know-what.

Sounds good to me!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    What a fun jobsite tour! I just love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I took a little drive yesterday after being contacted by my cousin's son (my second cousin
    But your cousin's son would be your first cousin, once removed. Your child would be his second cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    It's not named Bucks County for no reason! The outside looks like some old homes I've seen over near Wilmington, DE. I hope you get permission to take some photos of the interior should you get the job, at least the room(s) you'll be working on. I need clients like that.

Your second cousin is going to be mighty disappointed to go back to his own tools after that job unless he's lucky enough to have something similar.

John
    That home is actually in Chester County but Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Bucks counties are all pretty similar when it comes to "colonial" (and a lot of it actually is from that time) architecture. That also accounts for what you saw over the line in Delaware toward Wilmington. Same stuff...different place...all related "way back when". I don't believe I'll have any problem being able to get photos, especially of "the room". Hopefully, my meeting with the client and his spouse on Saturday goes well.

I'm sure that my cousin has things in hand in the tool department...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    But your cousin's son would be your first cousin, once removed. Your child would be his second cousin.
    D'oh!!! You are correct and I should know that given how much time I've spent on Ancestry dot com... sheesh...

Please post more photos of that place when done if you can.

Love walnut. I wanted to do all trims in our house when I was doing it in Walnut but darn getting good quality sap-free wood is difficult and it's expensive. Those runs of 7" wide crown I got for our kitchen (in walnut) was 3 times the price of Maple I used everywhere else.

That definetly is the type of client I would want. Good luck with the meeting Jim.

Good luck Jim, we all want to live vicariously through you!
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3