Thread: Chess Board

Chess Board

Finished a chess board this weekend that i've been working on since after Christmas. Wenge and curly maple squares, Brazilian cherry frame and ebony, lignum vitae for the boarder. I use General Finishes Arm-r-seal semi gloss and a couple coats of wax. Not seen in the pics i dressed up the edge of the frame by using a beading bit on top and bottom and then plowed out what remained between the beads to give fingers a place to lift. squares are 2.5 inches so the entire thing is 29 inches square w frame which makes for a big board. I splurged on the chessmen. Ebony and boxwood from houseofstaunton.com. I'm not a very good chess player yet. So far I'm 1-3 against my 10 year old... Next up is a box for the chessmen. All in all should make for a nice heirloom. It's not perfect but projects rarely are. I shoot for perfection and am happy when i get close.

nW3I4g7ORo+74ARUpFA+VQ_thumb_ee7a.jpg4OlxJuOYSbSFMFYuWeqCHg_thumb_ee54.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ee7e.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ee57.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ee97.jpgV6DF7L9ISaOEZsEmKmCung_thumb_ee87.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ee9a.jpg

Very, very nice! What's next! Chessmen?

Very nice. Bookmarked.

Are the squares just veneer glued onto cherry, or are they thicker? Couldn’t tell for sure from pictures.

That's really beautiful!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you. I used 1/2 ply as a substrate for the veneer. So the field is a little thinner than the frame. It’s recessed on the underside. If I ever make it into a table that lip underneath will make a good place to register the legs. Splines helped line everything up during the glue up - frame to playing field.

That looks like a lot of work. Very nice job.
    Charlie Jones

Very nice chess board. I like the way you clamped it too!

That is awesome!