Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sapele

Sapele

I have a lead on some sapele for $4bf (central Ohio) is that a good price? Thanks

It looks like it was milled for decking? 1" maybe?

Nothing extraordinary, but if you need it, it is a good price.

What looks like it was milled for decking? I don't see anything.

Blog Entries

Sapele is a wood that can have a funky ribboned grain. This can cause tear out when planing and is why I would want to pick my individual boards. That being said it can quite beautiful when finished without having to go through a complicated process. 4 bucks is a pretty decent price, at least compared to what I have to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Nothing extraordinary, but if you need it, it is a good price.

What looks like it was milled for decking? I don't see anything.
    I found the add for it, took a whole 30 seconds.

Thanks everybody.

I don't think the sapele I'm looking at was milled for decking. It's not 1".
    Second question. I have a shelix spiral cutterhead on my planer, will this handle the gnarly grain?

Quote Originally Posted by Nike Nihiser View Post
    I have a shelix spiral cutterhead on my planer, will this handle the gnarly grain?
    Yes, at least mine does.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Yes, at least mine does.
    Same here.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Not going to take the time to look for the ad, but what is the width? $4 is the retail price for 4" and under (typically 8/4) sapele from theach local retail yard

I use lots of sapele and never had tearout issues, even on straight bladed machines. just pay attention to the grain before you run it through, but you should be doing that with any piece of wood, anyway.
    the ribbon grain is spectacular and it really shines if you take the machine marks off the face with a sharp hand plane.

I was able to score some wide 8/4 sapele a few months ago for $5 a board foot from an overstock situation. That was considerably less than I would pay locally. $4 is a good price, IMHO, for 4/4 or 5/4 product in the general market. The ribbon grain does have to be taken into account when setting up for a project as has been noted.

Interestingly, I was at a very large new home construction site yesterday getting specifications for some CNC work I will be doing for them and all the stairway banisters were custom made from sapele as an alternative to "real" mahogany and they look awesome.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ok, I bought all the guy had, about 90 bf for $300. Most is 6/4, a few thicker, average 8" wide. I already ran one piece through my planer, came out great. Thanks for the info guys.

I think I bought 400-500bf of 8/4 sapele for $3.50ish a bdft awhile ago from my wholesaler. Some of those boards were quarter/rift sawn and most over 8”+ wide. Lot of 10-11” boards which are fantastic to work with. At the yard dedicated to small shops and special stock, sapele is probably $6ish.

With the price of walnut, I will be going to sapele more and more. Very handsome wood. Works beautifully as well. Aside from micro stress fractures, I’ve found it to be like butter under HSS and carbide. Comes off the jointer and planer perfectly, in my experience.