Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sapele

I mostly use Sapele for exterior painted projects.

I once painted about 20 old growth mahogany screen doors I had made.

That was a great price, as was the deal the OP got. I pay $5.50/BF from a local mill shop, but that's for any thickness up to 8/4 and widths often as wide as 16 - 20". I usually decline those just because they are too heavy to carry, and look for stuff around 12". The first Sapele I used was for an interior door project. It was all ribbon grain and worked like a dream. Then I bought some more for an exterior door. A couple of those boards were the most cantancerous pieces of wood; they would move every time I cut them. Both those boards had a little twist in them when I bought them. Now I only buy dead flat stock with linear grain and have had no further problems. Fortunately, I can pick and chose the boards I want.

You're right, those micro fractures can sometimes be hard to see, until after you've milled the part or, worse yet, already glued it into some assembly. I love how Sapele finishes. The ribbon grain just shimmers.

John

Great price. Wish i could have found a deal like that about a month ago. I found that if you find it tearing out, the normal fixes work, run the planer on the lowest feed, turn the board around. sometimes the grain changes direction though. My most recent build with sapele. Sorry for the mess in the back ground
    L.T.20190113_181157.jpg

Nike,
    300 bucks for 90 bd ft. is a great deal. That’s cheaper than many inferior woods where I live.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike Nihiser View Post
    I don't think the sapele I'm looking at was milled for decking. It's not 1".
    Second question. I have a shelix spiral cutterhead on my planer, will this handle the gnarly grain?
    I have a spiral head on my jointer and planer and have no issue with sapele.

GnG Wall Cab (178).jpg

Very mahogany-like to work with and finish.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Leonard, That's beautiful!