Thread: Built some garage/shop storage cabinets.

Built some garage/shop storage cabinets.

I'm starting to build some shop fixtures in my 2 car garage. Most of my tools are currently stored in a big steel cabinet about 4 ft wide, 18 inches deep and about 6ft tall. As I collect more and more tools it's been a nightmare trying to find anything I need. The cabinet needs to go so I can have that space to build a new tool storage cabinet/workbench. I figured I'd build some new storage cabinets to store my stuff until I can build that.
    I figured a good place for some cabinets was those little 14 inch spaces between the garage doors and the walls of the garage. This is space that was pretty much going to waste and wasn't big enough for much else.
    I used some of the sanded plywood from Lowes which was crap. I got through the project, but will never buy that garbage again. I'm glad it was just garage cabinets! Bought some plastic tracks for the bypass doors which are made from 1/8 inch hardboard. All in all I'm happy. Seems to be a good use of the space that was going to waste.

The forum keeps flipping my pics sideways, so here's my google pics album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UEjYWBTp8gSMdwpo8
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like you've got a good start at a nice shop, Michael. You'll never have too much storage space. Nice sliding doors. I'm putting sliding doors on a bookcase I'm making, as well.

A lot of shallow shelves will serve you better than a few tall ones. You will need a few tall ones, put them at the top and bottom. Shallow shelves belong from waist to just above eye level, where you can see into them. Store stuff in open topped cardboard boxes. Label them and keep a spot open to set it on when you pull one out.

I built the larger shelves on the bottom cause I have a few Stanley 2 drawer tool boxes with flip open tops that I needed the clearance above to open. If I ever get rid of those or put them someplace else I can always add in a shelf.