Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Tale of Two Saws

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    That is twice as much as is likely needed. Tap it out and keep rolling.
    I took a hammer and anvil on Saturday and just slid the saw along as I tapped it with the hammer. It seemed to work well. The saw starts easier and saws better.

What rake does your toother put in? I didn't change anything as I filed, I just followed what was there. It seemed to be close to zero since the top of the file was level, or nearly so.

Thanks, Jason

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Eaton View Post
    I know of Pete Taran’s Website, but out of ignorance, does Mike Allen have one? Tried googling and didn’t find anything
    Brian,

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify; Pete Taran is "The Man" when it comes to vintage handsaw's. I certainly can't speak for Pete, but I believe he started Independence Saw, one of the earliest boutique back saw manufacturers, that ultimately became the back/joinery saws Lie Nielsen sells today. Beyond that, Pete is one of the leading authorities in the world on vintage saws and his site vintage saws.com is to my mind the best source of classic, vintage Western handsaw's and related information on the Internet today.

The whole reason I got started with hand tool woodworking many years ago was purchasing a pair of Disston handsaw's from Pete. His saws were the revelation that help me realize I really didn't need that tablesaw (thanks Pete!). In comparison I'm just a rank amateur with way too many saws who enjoys occasionally passing them on to fellow Neanders, typically for the benefit of deserving charities.

Bottom line; if you're in the market for a quality, classic vintage handsaw you can absolutely depend on being straight, solid, exceptionally well sharpened/tuned and ready to go, Pete is your guy. I can honestly say I am a loooong time, extremely satisfied customer and give my highest possible recommendation to Pete personally and to vintage saws.com.

Pete has always been extremely generous in sharing his world-class knowledge and expertise with Neanders on SMC and the greater hand tool woodworking community. I'm confident you'll be thrilled with any saw you get from Pete – I know I have been for many years.

All the best, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    I'm just a rank amateur...
    Mike, you’re way too modest. Another Creeker sold me a D8 you sharpened, and it cuts wonderfully. I own several Disston saws, and without any disrespect to them, yours is a cut above the others (please excuse the bad pun).
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Good start Jason. If you get the bug like I did you will have over 60 hand saws before you get done. I just can't stand to see them and a lady eyeing to paint them. I saved a Sandvik 280 10 tpi and 1950's D-8 5 !/2 tpi rip a few weeks ago. Total $5.00.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Mike can definitely sharpen. Here's a cut with the panel saw he did for me in the earlier pictures. This is a 1x12 board that I crosscut with it. I put the square next to the cut line to show how straight. Keep in mind I'm a novice with a hand saw and still learning and getting the mechanics down. This was really impressive for me and the straightest I've ever sawn something like this by hand.

20190207_163805.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Brian,

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify; Pete Taran is "The Man" when it comes to vintage handsaw's. I certainly can't speak for Pete, but I believe he started Independence Saw, one of the earliest boutique back saw manufacturers, that ultimately became the back/joinery saws Lie Nielsen sells today. Beyond that, Pete is one of the leading authorities in the world on vintage saws and his site vintage saws.com is to my mind the best source of classic, vintage Western handsaw's and related information on the Internet today.

The whole reason I got started with hand tool woodworking many years ago was purchasing a pair of Disston handsaw's from Pete. His saws were the revelation that help me realize I really didn't need that tablesaw (thanks Pete!). In comparison I'm just a rank amateur with way too many saws who enjoys occasionally passing them on to fellow Neanders, typically for the benefit of deserving charities.

Bottom line; if you're in the market for a quality, classic vintage handsaw you can absolutely depend on being straight, solid, exceptionally well sharpened/tuned and ready to go, Pete is your guy. I can honestly say I am a loooong time, extremely satisfied customer and give my highest possible recommendation to Pete personally and to vintage saws.com.

Pete has always been extremely generous in sharing his world-class knowledge and expertise with Neanders on SMC and the greater hand tool woodworking community. I'm confident you'll be thrilled with any saw you get from Pete – I know I have been for many years.

All the best, Mike

Well that should make the green troll turn a little pink with embarrassment.