Thread: Learning AutoDesk Fusion 360

Learning AutoDesk Fusion 360

I came from a 2D CAD background and find it difficult to transition over to 3D for my 3D printer and some jobs for CNC routing. Yes I know Fusion 360 at the Autodesk website has lots of videos and the same on You Tube. But I much prefer printed documentation with a table of Contents and Index.... something you do not get with video

Found this book on Amazon and its less than $30 to your door. "Fusion 360 for Makers" by Lydia Sloan Cline ISBN:978-1-68045-355-3. The author has written 8 books in all on CAD and teaches at the Engineering college just 30 miles from my door. Highly recommended, I learned just from the first few pages alone!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

The only problem with books for Fusion 360 is that they update the program about monthly, sometimes in a major way. The January update changed the entire user interface. Books go quickly out of date. Usually you can find the features, but things like "CAM" module getting renamed "Manufacturing" can be confusing if you do not have a little history. I would imagine the books have at least a year lead time between writing and publishing.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

This one, Copyright date was 2018 and this lady has written 8 other books so she knows her stuff. I learned ACAD Release 9 back in the early 90's.... from a book.

I think books and manuals are great. I'm in the wincnc manual regularly and download new pdf when available.

A mix of the two seem best. The videos and tutorials are hard to beat. Even if your working with your machine and software 16 hours a day there is no way you wont develop a few bad habits or miss many tips and shortcuts that others working just as hard or with a different workflow, business model, or are just smarter.

Having worked with and around computers most of my adult life I see clearly that the younger generation who have been born and bred on technology just often times "get it" faster and more so their contemporaries who are of the same mindset are the ones writing the software. So things that make no sense to me why they are the way they are make total sense to the young draftsman today.

It's short sighted not to take advantage of it. I watch more machine shop videos on YouTube than I ever do woodworking or wood cnc. It all cross applies and I'll take the books, the videos, whatever I can get.

Thanks for the lead on the book

I have had good luck with training from Lynda.com. Books are a tad old school. I have used that for other software.

Here is an intro to the Fusion 360: https://www.lynda.com/Fusion-360-tut.../614292-2.html

I learned how to use Fusion from the tutorials and videos, mostly Lars, who I really liked. Just enuf to get by with the few things I needed to do, but it worked fine. That having been said I've ordered the book, I'm just used to learning from them. Old school maybe, but you really don't want to take your laptop into the crapper with you, and it's also pretty damn uncomfortable in bed.

I'll report back with my impressions when I've had a chance to get into it.

I like books too, but Fusion 360 is tough because of the frequency of updates. Videos go out of date quickly as well. I can read far faster than most videos can talk, and good books have indexes and tables of contents and I can often picture in my mind the page I’m looking for. Most videos are not scripted and do not get to what I’m looking for quick enough. I hate having to watch long, repetitive intros.

I’ve been working on some educational materials, primarily text and illustrations, with some accompanying videos. My videos will be short and all are scripted with subtitles and transcripts available. Text is so much faster to search. My intros are in 3-5 seconds range, mostly text about what is covered. Text also helps non native English speakers who may be relying on google translate.

When you can index your videos so If I have a question and can flip to the index and have my answer in less than a minute....

Really I use videos to learn at times, but the basics of F360 has been pretty much the same for the past few years.

People who make only videos are assuming if you see it once in a video you have learned it forever, and they move so fast. I love the ones narrated by people with an accent. Like Richard says videos get outdated also, so you need to sort all that out.

No there is a place for both, but I prefer a book especially when its price is less than $30 and gets good reviews.

I never watch a video to learn something specific. When that's needed time is too pressed. I watch videos to learn stuff I'm completely missing or approaches my brain flow doesnt find on it's own. It's why I watch so many machining videos. I find so many odd tips and tricks from the guys working at tenths and millionths that are easily dumbed down to my tolerances.

The best way to get REALLY good at CAD is by watching someone. You'll learn tips and techniques that you'd never find in a book, or manual.
    Gerry

JointCAM

My preference is PDF files and video. PDF is great because I can print out a section I need and not lug a book around. They are also great because it is easy to have hundreds of them on a tablet. Try carrying that many books under the arm out to the shop. The best PDF's allow editing so a person can add their own notes.

Videos are tricky. The folks who just record their clicks are not all that good, especially if they are fast. Nor does one hear why they are doing something the way they are doing it. The best way to use videos is to have a dual monitor setup or have it on a tablet alongside a computer.

There are some real annoyances with a lot a of videos. Some people cannot help but keep squirreling the mouse around as they talk, it drives me nuts. Then there are the ones who spend 3 minutes searching their drive for a file they want to load or going browsing on google. C'mon, if they are going to make a video then they should get all their stuff in a basket before starting.

Some of my favorite videos are from Vectric. They are very informative and well done, but they are also great for napping.