Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop price increase

Sawstop price increase

I got an email from Rockler this morning saying that Sawstop prices will be increasing and to buy before Feb 1 to beat the increase. I am not surprised there would be a tariff-related increase, but wondered if we should assume other imported tools will be getting a similar increase at this time. Anyone have more details?

I thought Sawstop was made in Taiwan and wouldn't be subject to the tariffs.
    (the increase looks like the annual Festool adjustment)

Matt

I don't think Taiwan is excluded from import tax increases but even if they were, the price would still go up due to the principle of supply and demand. Grizzly raised their prices months ago.

I bet this is the same ridiculous increase that Festool does every year for no good reason. Even though official inflation has been as low as it gets for the last decade or more.

Why do you think this is tariffs related? Raw material prices, especially steel, has been going up like crazy - couldn't this just be related to that?

another Festool annual price increase (for no other reason that they can and they do) guess here...though I continue to own Festool and will continue to buy when the tool suits my needs

Festool (and Sawstop for that matter) is not really in the business of making tools for people. They are in the business of maximizing shareholder profits. The fact that they have to make tools to make profit is incidental. The management at either business will set prices so as to maximize profit. That is the reason for raising prices. If they raise prices too high, then few people will buy their tools and profit will go down. They set prices exactly where they will make the most profit, not sell the most tools. That is the law of supply and demand and that is how business works.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinis Kanders View Post
    I bet this is the same ridiculous increase that Festool does every year for no good reason. Even though official inflation has been as low as it gets for the last decade or more.

A tariff increase was supposed to go into effect on January 1 but has been postponed until March 1 while negotiators try to work things out. I am not sure of the list of products but I seem to remember it was extensive.

I thought Shiraz (or somebody else) said that the tariffs would affect Chinese machines but not Taiwanese. I could be wrong, of course.

As far as I can tell, all Grizzly cabinet saws have all gone up in price, regardless of origin. The new tariffs have resulted in increased the price of all saws, regardless of origin. This is completely predictable.

Is saw stop not produced in the USA? Thought they were a USA product.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    If I remember correctly they’re made in Taiwan.....Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    SS technology was invented by Dr Gass in the USA. He and his investors had the saws produced in Taiwan, which by the way is not subject to the current round of tariffs. With or without tariffs, any manufacturers or vendors can prices prices.

May be soon one can buy a Made in Germany tablesaw with the SS technology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DWVdcmRD44

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Jens Hoffmann View Post
    Why do you think this is tariffs related? Raw material prices, especially steel, has been going up like crazy
    Because of the tariffs??
    Gerry

JointCAM

The information I can google up says Taiwan was not exempted from tariffs.