Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop price increase

From what I have read this if the first increase since 2008 can't complain about.

Plus, SawStop was bought by the company that owns Festool. Festool has (without fail) has a price increase every year. I suspect that’s that may happen with SawStop now.

Last time I went to the grocery story it seems most stuff was up too.
    Last edited by Richard McComas; 01-29-2019 at 9:32 PM.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    The information I can google up says Taiwan was not exempted from tariffs.
    Are we talking about woodworking machinery or other products (like steel which Taiwan is included in the tariffs)?

Many Taiwanese businesses are considering moving their production back from China to Taiwan to avoid the tariffs targeting at Chinese goods, including machinery,

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Festool (and Sawstop for that matter) is not really in the business of making tools for people. They are in the business of maximizing shareholder profits. The fact that they have to make tools to make profit is incidental. The management at either business will set prices so as to maximize profit. That is the reason for raising prices. If they raise prices too high, then few people will buy their tools and profit will go down. They set prices exactly where they will make the most profit, not sell the most tools. That is the law of supply and demand and that is how business works.
    It does not have to be that way and that is a simplistic way of looking at it. Plenty of companies that do things differently. Just look at the Amazon, they do not pay dividends and build a business with a long term perspective and not that long ago had a 1T market cap.

Yes, it has to be that way. Your mistake is in assuming that dividends are the same as shareholder profits. People own stocks in order to make profits through capital gains much, much more often than they do to receive dividends or interest. You can bet that Amazon has very powerful computers that analyze the market every single day to set prices at a point that will maximize profit. There is ample evidence that this activity goes on without direct human intervention. It is that buried in their system.

5. Sawstop table saws are made in Taiwan.

Taiwan is not subject to the additional Tariffs like those that are applicable to China made products.

All Grizzly table saws did NOT go up in price. Some Taiwan made ones were kept the same price, some had a very modest increase $25 or so, and the Chinese made ones were adjusted with a partial Tariff increase (we ate some of the tariff increase to keep the business flowing). Many of the Grizzly machine prices were actually reduced for 2019.

“Same ridiculous increase...for no good reason.” Actually prices often stay lower for manufactured goods than they should in many consumer goods because the market won’t bear it.

My manufacturing business eats many years of cost increases to the detriment of short term profit because to not do so would mean lost sales.

The decision to raise prices is not made as cavalierly by actual business owners as armchair quarterback consumers would like to believe.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-30-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Sawstop table saws are made in Taiwan.

Taiwan is not subject to the additional Tariffs like those that are applicable to China made products.

All Grizzly table saws did NOT go up in price. Some Taiwan made ones were kept the same price, some had a very modest increase $25 or so, and the Chinese made ones were adjusted with a partial Tariff increase (we ate some of the tariff increase to keep the business flowing). Many of the Grizzly machine prices were actually reduced for 2019.
    This shows misinformation is widespread in the internet world. Deepfakes should be our next worry.

Simon

But the internet is always right!
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Yes, it has to be that way. Your mistake is in assuming that dividends are the same as shareholder profits. People own stocks in order to make profits through capital gains much, much more often than they do to receive dividends or interest. You can bet that Amazon has very powerful computers that analyze the market every single day to set prices at a point that will maximize profit. There is ample evidence that this activity goes on without direct human intervention. It is that buried in their system.
    Thank you Mr. Econ 101 for your over-simplified assuming posts on this subject.

You are absolutely wrong about Amazon changing prices rapidly. Feel free to use camelcamelcamel and the like to verify for yourself. The truth is, products on Amazon rarely change prices monthly, let alone daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shattuck View Post
    Thank you Mr. Econ 101 for your over-simplified assuming posts on this subject.

You are absolutely wrong about Amazon changing prices rapidly. Feel free to use camelcamelcamel and the like to verify for yourself. The truth is, products on Amazon rarely change prices monthly, let alone daily.
    I have several hundred items in my amazon "saved for later" queue, and get on the order of 30 or 40 price changes per day. Some items change prices on a daily basis, or even more frequently than that. Often the changes are less than a dollar, but sometimes the changes are quite dramatic.

I don't use those aggregators, because they're too intrusive (and from your description, they don't seem very useful.)

Keep in mind that many of those "Amazon" items are being sold by other vendors. They can price them how ever they want, just using Amazon as a marketing tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Keep in mind that many of those "Amazon" items are being sold by other vendors. They can price them how ever they want, just using Amazon as a marketing tool.
    Some of the most dramatic price change deals I've gotten are from items shipped/sold by amazon itself, like a Jet air cleaner for US$277, or US$150 off a Starrett straight edge, etc., and this was in no proximity to sale days, and these were not warehouse items in any sense, they were brand new in the factory packaging (actually the Jet had been drop-shipped from JPW.) I'm currently watching a Llambrich chuck, it's sold by amazon and it's fluctuating all over the place. Know your prey.

The third-party vendors tend not to be as demonstrative, at least with the kinds of things I buy (which however are quite varied.)
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 01-31-2019 at 7:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I have several hundred items in my amazon "saved for later" queue, and get on the order of 30 or 40 price changes per day. Some items change prices on a daily basis, or even more frequently than that. Often the changes are less than a dollar, but sometimes the changes are quite dramatic.

I don't use those aggregators, because they're too intrusive (and from your description, they don't seem very useful.)
    How do you keep track of price changes and remember what price they were to what they are now. You can't possibly remember every single price and as I have never used "saved for later" as I can't see the point does Amazon track price changes for you when they are saved?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    How do you keep track of price changes and remember what price they were to what they are now. You can't possibly remember every single price and as I have never used "saved for later" as I can't see the point does Amazon track price changes for you when they are saved?
    When you log on and check your "shopping cart" they give you a list of what prices have changed on what items since you last logged on. When a book you wanted was 32 bucks yesterday and it's 15 bucks today, that is certainly noticeable. I'm old, but it's not getting _that_ bad... That's amazon, not some 3rd party vendor, BTW.

I look at price history with CamelCamelCamel website. You can also set a price and have it notify when it hits or goes below that price. The site is down right now due to server problems.