Thread: Wood-Mizer LT 15 Wide

Wood-Mizer LT 15 Wide

Anybody have experience with one of these? Seems like the LT 15 is pretty common, but curious about the wide model. I’m looking at buying one of these mostly to slab with. Thinking about going electric and leaving it set up next to my woodshop(already got 3phase converter going). Not going into custom milling but mainly just to utilize some of the trees off my farm/creek ground. I got a loader big enough to handle just about anything you wanna throw at it, but it probably doesn’t replace a log turner? I’m young and don’t mind hard work but, I like to work smart too! Same on auto feed? I guess a guy could always add them on later if you wanted/needed to.
    I’m open to all advice you guys got.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Have no experience with a wide mill, but like the idea. My limit is only 32" and that is sometimes a pain. Have to keep the chainsaw handy to cut off bumps. I mounted a harbor freight winch on my mill and wrap the cable around the log and use a hook from Cooks to roll the logs on the mill. Have to run a chain to something solid like a fence post to keep it from bending something important.

I have read some favorable reviews from a few guys who have the wide model. Still not big enough for half the logs I get. I run an LT40 hydraulic, and 26" between the guides is just not big enough. I'm planning on building my own wide mill to cut up to 60". I'm tired of losing some great crotch log figure to capacity issues.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    I have read some favorable reviews from a few guys who have the wide model. Still not big enough for half the logs I get. I run an LT40 hydraulic, and 26" between the guides is just not big enough. I'm planning on building my own wide mill to cut up to 60". I'm tired of losing some great crotch log figure to capacity issues.
    Yeah, 36” is a decent tree but when you get to a crotch that’s nothing! I’m not necessarily wanting to get into this as a business, more just for myself but I’m thinking if things would get serious and I was maxing it out all the time, I could trade up.