Thread: Grizzly Forstner bit set

Blog Entries

Grizzly Forstner bit set

Anyone owning the set of Grizzly Fostner bits currently on sale agree with one owner's opinion regarding the design?

I have a similar set of unbranded chinese forstners, but without the screw tip. They work reasonably well, definitely not Freud or Fisch quality, but it is handy to have one of each size.

I don't know if I would like the screw tip, though. When I use forstners, I tend to need to back them out frequently. Having the bit draw into the wood doesn't sound helpful, actually rather dangerous especially in the larger bit sizes. I think I would only want to use something like that in a Milwaukee Hole-Hawg or similar on slow speed, and with a extra long handle. They actually look more like they are meant for construction, e.g. drilling through joists and studs, rather than woodworking.

If they have a screw tip they are construction speed bor bit or an ignorant Chinese manufacturers interpretation of a tool that isn't correct for the use or have the wrong name.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-29-2019 at 8:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Dad has that set. The screw tip works very well. He made the mistake of using one in the drill press. Whipped the handle out of his grip, went through the material and into his table before he could stop it. It’s only funny since he had the material clamped down and wasn’t injured.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a set, used them alot. Seem to cut good, no complaints here.

I would not use a Forstner bit with a screw tip.

How do you raise the bit up to clear out shavings on a deep hole?

If it has a screw tip it is self feeding so isn't a forstner bit, even if somebody calls it that. You couldn't do something basic to the function of a forstner bit such as drilling a smooth bottom hole or stop drilling at a certain depth because the screw is pulling it in.
    See the near disaster my dad had related in my brother's post above.

A self feed bit is designed for rough construction and drilling through holes. Many of these even have the 7/16" hex drive used on available on Hole Hawgs and large impacts used in rough construction. Made to blow a hole thru a stud or joist to run electric or plumbing without much regard to doing in cleanly. Meant to be used in a hand held drill.

I use forstner bits routinely. Would never want a screw tip. I got a set of cheap bits at HF, and oddly, they all work as should except one, which for some reason doesn't bite into the wood. I also have a set of better brand forstners. I wish they came with longer shanks, but that can be dealt with. I also use brad point drill bits frequently and they are getting harder to find. For hand drilling, I will use old fashioned ships drill bits or timber wrights bits. A buddy uses a long screw tip speed bit to make rocket stoves out of firewood. Campers pay an extra $6 bucks for a piece of wood that has been drilled.