Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phase converters

Phase converters

Is this what people are talking about to run 3 phase saws on single phase 240v?
    Is this a good phase converter to run a 3hp 3 phase table saw? Will this run the saw at full power?
    https://www.amazon.com/Phase-Convert.../dp/B07F26KYKT

You will get only 2/3 of the rated HP when using a static phase converter. They work, I am currently using two. HP loss has not been a problem. You can also use a VFD but I have not done that.

John H

A "static phase converter" (what you linked to) temporarily generates a 3rd phase to get your motor started, then powers the motor from single-phase once it's up to speed. As such, you only get 2/3 the rated power. This is very similar to how a single-phase motor works.

A "rotary phase converter" is essentially a single phase motor connected to a 3-phase generator. You get full power, but you literally have a motor sitting somewhere spinning (which makes noise, heat, etc).

A "VFD" is a piece of electronics which continuously generates 3-phase output from single-phase input. It allows you to vary the motor speed, spin up/down time, add electronic braking, etc. It's likely the best (and most economical) option for your 3HP table saw. This is an example of the type of thing you might want: https://www.factorymation.com/FM50-203-C

If you anticipate acquiring many more 3-phase machines, in the future, it might be worth considering the Rotary Phase Converter (RPC), though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    A "static phase converter" (what you linked to) temporarily generates a 3rd phase to get your motor started, then powers the motor from single-phase once it's up to speed. As such, you only get 2/3 the rated power.
    But is it? The spec sheet is in badly translated English so it's hard to tell. It looks like that DPS will run the motor up to 85% of rated current.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    But is it? The spec sheet is in badly translated English so it's hard to tell. It looks like that DPS will run the motor up to 85% of rated current.
    I didn't see the datasheet, but by definition, for a given voltage and current, power delivered by a single-phase circuit is 2/3 of what can be delivered by a 3-phase circuit with equivalent phase voltages and currents. It's not physically possible to get more.

My suggestion would be to go to Factorymation and get a 3 HP TECO FM50 VFD. They have reasonable prices, the TECO VFD is reliable and has been around for a long time, and most importantly, they have real live tech support. You won't get that from Amazon or Ebay. I've been running a 5 HP table saw on a 3 HP vfd for a number of years, no problems at all.

But this one has a " Semi-permanent life time".

I agree with Dave Cav. TecoFM50.

OP, do some searching here on the forum. There are tons of threads talking about VFD’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    A "static phase converter" (what you linked to) temporarily generates a 3rd phase to get your motor started, then powers the motor from single-phase once it's up to speed. As such, you only get 2/3 the rated power. This is very similar to how a single-phase motor works.

A "rotary phase converter" is essentially a single phase motor connected to a 3-phase generator. You get full power, but you literally have a motor sitting somewhere spinning (which makes noise, heat, etc).

A "VFD" is a piece of electronics which continuously generates 3-phase output from single-phase input. It allows you to vary the motor speed, spin up/down time, add electronic braking, etc. It's likely the best (and most economical) option for your 3HP table saw. This is an example of the type of thing you might want: https://www.factorymation.com/FM50-203-C

If you anticipate acquiring many more 3-phase machines, in the future, it might be worth considering the Rotary Phase Converter (RPC), though.
    I pretty much agree. But static phase converter’s have a dead spot for 1/3 of the rotation of the motor. I find you will usually get less than 60% of the horse power.

Don’t forget there is always Phase perfect. If you’re willing to spend $$$$$$$.

Buy a Fuji vfd from Wolfe, 234 bucks shipped.

I have abandoned the teco ship after realizing that factorymation is having models made just for them, with limited parts and support due to always changing models.

I do not like the FM line due to not being able to run them with a 3 wire control without having to do some real tomfoolery in the programming and basically fooling the drive to work. The Fujis come with all the extras that you end up paying extra for with a teco.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Buy a Fuji vfd from Wolfe, 234 bucks shipped.

I have abandoned the teco ship after realizing that factorymation is having models made just for them, with limited parts and support due to always changing models.

I do not like the FM line due to not being able to run them with a 3 wire control without having to do some real tomfoolery in the programming and basically fooling the drive to work. The Fujis come with all the extras that you end up paying extra for with a teco.
    The Teco line-up is pretty good. In most situations it will support up to 1.5 hp. Their customer service sucks! But, it is a ok drive.

Darcy, you have three phase power in your shop. Why would you ever need vfd’s???
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 01-29-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    The Teco line-up is pretty good. In most situations it will support up to 1.5 hp. Their customer service sucks! But, it is a ok drive.

Darcy, you have three phase power in your shop. Why would you ever need vfd’s???
    I have people that need to run 3 phase equipment from single phase.

I add vfds for speed control on things like a SLR that had burnt out 4 speed motors that are too expensive to rewind.

I add them to things like big disc Sanders, the feed on moulders, lots of reasons to add one even with pole power, especially at the price point the Fujis are.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I have people that need to run 3 phase equipment from single phase.

I add vfds for speed control on things like a SLR that had burnt out 4 speed motors that are too expensive to rewind.

I add them to things like big disc Sanders, the feed on moulders, lots of reasons to add one even with pole power, especially at the price point the Fujis are.
    I rebuild machines too! I too, build them into Sanders, larhes and drill presses or for conversion.... The sky is the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bandirola View Post
    Is this what people are talking about to run 3 phase saws on single phase 240v?
    Is this a good phase converter to run a 3hp 3 phase table saw? Will this run the saw at full power?
    https://www.amazon.com/Phase-Convert.../dp/B07F26KYKT
    Think through the entire wiring - just my opinion, but I would not purchase an often used item like a table saw if it required power adaptor that needed to be turned on separately from the saw (meaning, two different switches to throw).

I do use a rotary phase converter on a belt sander. It is a 10hp RPC ($500 used) and works fine, but has a spinning motor as part of it. No biggie. But I am not running the sander all that often so turning on two devices is not an issue.

You'd have to compare the cost of a VFD to the cost of a single phase motor, new or used. I have a VFD on a drill press and it was a big upgrade for me, the speed range expanded a lot and no changing belts. I don't really see table saws, jointers and planers as benefitting from what a VFD offers beyond powering a 3 phase motor off 1 phase supply. One thing I think you'd need to think about on a table saw is being too aggressive with the deceleration schedule. I suspect if the motor decelerated too quickly the blade nut might come loose.