Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phase converters

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bandirola View Post
    Is this what people are talking about to run 3 phase saws on single phase 240v?
    Is this a good phase converter to run a 3hp 3 phase table saw? Will this run the saw at full power?
    https://www.amazon.com/Phase-Convert.../dp/B07F26KYKT

Matt Matt who has posted in this thread is a very classy guy and is not promoting his own product here, but I will do so without guilt as I am not affiliated. He and his colleague have worked with a manufacturer to produce VFDs that are excellent for woodworking machines. More robust braking resisters and produce the full rated HP, not just 2/3. Detachable display and remote operation possible. They will walk you through the set-up for your specific machine and what's best for a lot of people is that when you need assistance, you talk a guy in North America who actually uses them himself to make a living. I have a 2HP unit and wouldn't hesitate to get another.

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    He and his colleague have worked with a manufacturer to produce VFDs that are excellent for woodworking machines. More robust braking resisters and produce the full rated HP, not just 2/3.
    Nothing wrong with paying for some tech support, if that's what you want, but certainly no one is having "custom" VFDs made to sell a few hundred per year to hobby woodworkers, nor is there such a thing as a VFD "specific" to woodworking machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Nothing wrong with paying for some tech support, if that's what you want, but certainly no one is having "custom" VFDs made to sell a few hundred per year to hobby woodworkers, nor is there such a thing as a VFD "specific" to woodworking machines.
    They aren't "specific" to woodworking machines, they are excellent for woodworking machines....probably other machines too.

The settup process I was referring to where I did use the word "specific" was in reference to the motor characteristics, but also the user's preference with respect to control behaviour, location etc.

I'll let Matt clarify.

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    The Teco line-up is pretty good. In most situations it will support up to 1.5 hp. Their customer service sucks!
    FM50’s go up to 3hp. And Teco’s CS might suck, but Factorymation’s support is great IME.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Think through the entire wiring - just my opinion, but I would not purchase an often used item like a table saw if it required power adaptor that needed to be turned on separately from the saw (meaning, two different switches to throw).
    Remote switches are easily added, so just one switch operates the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I don't really see table saws, jointers and planers as benefitting from what a VFD offers beyond powering a 3 phase motor off 1 phase supply. One thing I think you'd need to think about on a table saw is being too aggressive with the deceleration schedule. I suspect if the motor decelerated too quickly the blade nut might come loose.
    3 phase motors are bombproof for one thing, so that’s an advantage of keeping the 3ph motor and using a vfd. The reduced time to spin the blade down is nice too. I think the spinning the arbor but off is kind of a myth. It would have to be an instantaneous stop and even then I don’t think the nut would spin off.

Lastly, gotta love when an op doesn’t come back to his thread. Hope he’s gleaned something from our advice.

Sorry I don’t get on here often enough.
    It looks like the FM50-203c will be a good VFD then?
    Please correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like the output current rating of 10.5amps is actually 5hp if that is all 3 phases.
    Well actually about 4.2hp with a 150% allowed over current for 1 minute about 6.3 hp
    Last edited by Stephen Bandirola; 02-02-2019 at 4:33 PM.

That’s the correct VFD for your 3hp 3ph motor.

Thank you.

Steve

I have a TECO VFD on my tablesaw and really like it. I replaced the motor at the same time so I could go to 1800 rpm. (10" saw) Reduced blade speed has several advantages; quicker blade stop, less energy in the sawdust so it gets thrown around less, bigger sawdust so it settles faster, less noise, nothing will be thrown at 100 mph, less heat and burning, a nicer machine to run. I have not notices any change in cut quality and since I don't run production the very slight loss of cut rate is no problem.

You will be able to turndown to about 50% rpm but as you do, you will loose power. A very manageable tradeoff. I have the blade set to stop in 1 second at 100% speed.