Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

28 Jan 2019
    Greetings Everyone,
    It's been a very busy past week but I've made good progress on the computer desktop for my friend that lost all he had in a tornado a few years ago. The wood is red oak and the primary boards are from 1" thick oak stair treads with the bullnose cut away to make them all square and flat boards to make the top from. This wasn't my choice but the owners choice. Worked through some plumbing issues around the house, replaced 2 toilets (did I happen to mention that I strongly dislike plumbing work??!!!) and got some cleaning and organizing work done in the shop. My hope is to do a bit of woodturning once I get this project out of the shop.

greer_computer_desktop.jpg

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I finished up a chess board. wenge/curly maple, brazilian cherry frame w ebony and lignum vitae boarder. finished with general finishes arm-r-seal semi gloss, + a couple coats of wax. bought the chessmen from houseofstaunton.com
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ee9a.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ee90.jpg

That's looking great, Dennis! (your's too, Mark...outstanding! Please post it in the Woodworking Projects Forum area where we put finished projects and build threads)

I pretty much have the cherry kitchen table top finished-finished. It was a struggle due to some human errors combined with an issue with my spray gun, but I'm more or less happy with the end result that, um...ended up being hand-applied and oil based. I'll update the thread when I have the opportunity. In other activities, I got half of the inlay work done for a subcontract and have started the other side of the workpieces. I'm also spec-ing out a CNC job for a builder for some custom medallions for a ceiling and decorative elements for a fireplace surround in a beautiful, all walnut library installation in a high-end home renovation. I got my kids taxes out the door on the weekend and have ours as far as I can go before the business return is completed by my new accountant.

This week I expect to get the rest of the inlay work done and follow that up with a significant shop cleaning before starting on some new projects for "me" and for others.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I second the compliments on the work by Dennis and Mark. Beautiful work.

Last weekend (a week ago, that is) I dealt myself a setback on the coffee station project. I was in too much of a hurry in the making of wood panels for the lower cabinet doors, and I ruined one of them. Rookie mistake by a perpetual rookie. And with that being the last material I had available to work with in the workshop, I'm now in a holding pattern waiting for new lumber from storage to acclimate to the shop.

This past weekend, I tackled some small projects on the list SWMBO keeps for me, and in between, I began the finishing of some of the smaller parts of the coffee station.
    Door Finishing.jpg
    Chuck Taylor

I finally finished a murphy bed and adjacent cabinets. Made from QSWO: 7 sheets of plywood and around 100 board foot of 4/4 and 6/4. The result exceeded my expectation. Learned a lot. The whole process took a full month, working 6-7 days a week, many 12 hour days. The job included rewiring the room, painting,...

One big change from my previous builds: I spent a fair amount of time thinking about and selecting the grain and color for each piece. This paid off. I also built 3 separate prototypes of the face frames and trim work out of scraps of plywood to get what I felt was a good balance of sizes so the whole piece worked together.

For this project the design was completed during the build process, except for the murphy bed structure itself for which I followed a slightly modified plan from the vendor.

Create-A-Bed was extremely helpful on the telephone verifying my changes were OK, and they sent me 'upgraded' shocks that could handle a heavier mattress. Definitely one of the best service companies I have ever dealt with, a real joy. Their plans and instructional video are also very well done, so extra kudos to them.

Now we have an awesome exercise room that quickly converts into a beautiful, cozy guest suite. We have company at least twice a month, so this was a good project. My wife did apologize, she had no idea how much work it was going to be when she asked me to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark McFarlane

Well, today I used the snowblower, a lot.

Apparently this is more snow than we’ve had since 1968.

Now sitting in the Morris chair with a mug of Earl Grey watching the birds in the feeder.

This afternoon I plan on applying satin polyurethane to the spice cabinet doors.....Rod

Wow, I am definitely the slacker of this group. Everybody's projects look great. While I am just getting out to the shop one day a week for now. I don't like to heat up the shop if I am only going to be out there for just an hour or two.

Saturday I was out in the shop, cutting parts for Tantalus II and III.

Sunday, I bowled in a local doubles tournament. We didn't make any money, but didn't end up last either.

This week it looks like the same. The high for the next couple of days isn't supposed to get above 0* F. But the weekend we might have rain. Go figure..

Beautiful work, Mark! Outstanding, even. (If you have not done so already, please post that project in the Woodworking Projects forum area where finished projects and builds go)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...