Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carcass Saw - LN or LV?

Carcass Saw - LN or LV?

I’d like to add a carcass saw to my arsenal.
    I’ve narrowed it down to the Lie Nielsen and the Veritas.

Is there a significant usability difference between the two, or am I really looking at aesthetic preference here? Well, and price, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I’d like to add a carcass saw to my arsenal.
    I’ve narrowed it down to the Lie Nielsen and the Veritas.

Is there a significant usability difference between the two, or am I really looking at aesthetic preference here? Well, and price, of course.
    I have the LV model and like it. I've resharpened it with a slightly more aggressive rake angle out of personal preference. I have access to the LN carcass saw model they sold a few years back as well as a newer one that is longer. All three cut very well and if your only criteria for picking one over the other is price, then the LV will be just fine.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Another factor Nathan, if you do not sharpen your own saws, LN will resharpen for $25 & that is a good deal.

Just my two cents...don't own either one...

BUT - As close as their handplanes are in comparison to each other, I think their saws are not. I have the LV dovetail saw, and when I compare it to one of my other "premium" saws (Rob Cosman Dovetail and Bad Axe Bayonette) it's like night and day. The LN dovetail saw was a good saw to get me "into the game". However, I don't think it is on the same level as the LN saw. However, as noted above, it price is the major concern, you cannot go wrong with the LV saw. It's much better than any big box brand saw you'll find anywhere.

Can you clarify your post? You say you don't have either one, but then say you have the LV saw? Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Smira View Post
    Just my two cents...don't own either one...

BUT - As close as their handplanes are in comparison to each other, I think their saws are not. I have the LV dovetail saw, and when I compare it to one of my other "premium" saws (Rob Cosman Dovetail and Bad Axe Bayonette) it's like night and day. The LN dovetail saw was a good saw to get me "into the game". However, I don't think it is on the same level as the LN saw. However, as noted above, it price is the major concern, you cannot go wrong with the LV saw. It's much better than any big box brand saw you'll find anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Can you clarify your post? You say you don't have either one, but then say you have the LV saw? Confused
    I said I had the LV dovetail saw. Same basic saw as the carcass saw in question, but for different purposes. Like I said earlier, to me, between the dovetail saws that I own, there isn't a comparison. However, between my RC dovetail saw and a LN dovetail saw (of which I have used, but do not own), there is a much better comparison to be made.

Sorry if I confused someone...

Gonna echo Kevin's sentiments here. I am in the exact position of owning both LN and RC dovetail saws as well as the LV carcass saws. They're all on the good side of the spectrum progressing from LV, LN then RC as the best of the batch. The price point jumps accordingly. I did all my learning on the LV saw and would have never upgraded had I not inherited the LN from a friend of a friend. The RC saw was a straight up impulse buy and I have no regrets (aside from missing out on some beautiful white oak...)

Ordered the Lie Nielsen.

I have a number of Veritas tools to this point, and I enjoy all of them.
    I guess I wanted the prettier tool this time around.

Thanks for the replies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Another factor Nathan, if you do not sharpen your own saws, LN will resharpen for $25 & that is a good deal.
    Gosh, I need to start charging more!

As for the original question, both are fine saws. I prefer the brass back and handle style of the Lie Nielsen. I do have both saws. The Veritas I use on site as it is cheaper and if one is going to get damaged in my tool tote or rained on, let it be the cheaper one. Don’t take that to mean the LN isn’t a user.

10. I own all three Veritas saws (dovetail, carcass, tenon) and what I like most about the carcass and dovetail saw is the handle. The palm part of the handle kind of bulbs out into your palm in a nice way. The handle on the tenon saw, for some reason, is larger and not as comfortable, to me.

I've used both. Both are good. No superior performance to another that I could discern. The LN is obviously a real good looking saw, The LV is also quite nice in my eyes. In the end though, I would buy a saw which doesn't have the spine glued on. Which is what I did. In terms of cutting, tune the saws to your preference; then all the saws mentioned in this thread would all leave the same level of finish and accuracy. Hang and saw plate thickness does become an even bigger factor when including those other saws though. A vintage off eBay would be a nice project. I know someone who owns the LN and RC. The LN is the one being used. Sometimes a rehabbed Disston saved from being thrown out of a high school I reach for over a 300$ saw also at arms length. You won't have regrets buying either.

Your third and forth lines don’t make sense. You refer twice to the LN saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Gosh, I need to start charging more!

You had better Malcolm. Good hand saw sharpening is hard to find & expensive. Gone are the days when Tom Law would sharpen all the saws I sent him for $10 per saw. Tom Cianci ? “the saw doctor” is so backed up he stopped accepting new saws this past summer. Kennebec saws has a long waiting list & at least a 3 month wait. He does good work but you can pay on average $75 or more plus shipping. To some on this forum saw sharpening is no different in difficulty than sharpening a plane blade. But remember, some of us practiced a long time & tried several methods before we got that reliably reproduceable razor edge. Even Mike Dunbar, one of the finest hand tool wizards, sent his saws out. ( see pic from his book ). I suspect the majority of handsaws sold are never resharpened. They are used a bit, get dull, and the owner looks at a disposable Japanese saw or a more expensive American saw or goes to the bandsaw or table saw. That is a guess on my part. Thoughts?0CEA8122-12AB-4BE0-886D-5C8D057CA787.jpg

Blog Entries
    See this site

https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...mg.cYzn2LEXQeM

I would buy both of them.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-28-2019 at 7:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Ordered the Lie Nielsen.
    . . .
    Thanks for the replies.
    I love this forum. OP made his decision hours ago. The rest of us will be discussing it for days.