Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Floor joist spacing question

There is another choice. You can add one joist per 8' and go with 19" oc, or go with 16" oc and it adds 2 joists per 8'. Either are stronger than the building code for a house, considering you are looking at less than a 10' span on a 2x10. When I started my building career in 1976, you could go with a 2x10 16' at 16" oc. Still have the '76 code book. Your treated yellow pine is a stronger lumber than the typical HemFir we used in those days.

My shop has 2 x 10’s on one foot centers with 1” OSB. When I find some hardwood flooring on close out I’ll put that on too. My joists span about 16’ and 12’ supported by a LVL beam. I don’t at this time have any machines approaching 1000 pounds. When I get a pile of wood I lay it across the joists close to the wall or over the supporting beam below.

A support in the center would help a lot....2 X10 would then work but I'd go 16" centers for stiffness for tool/machinery..I personally would go 2 X 12s also but I tend to overkill/overbuild. Remember too, later you may want to move machinery to new location in your shop so I'd build it strong everywhere.. Just my thoughts.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    There is another choice. You can add one joist per 8' and go with 19" oc, or go with 16" oc and it adds 2 joists per 8'. Either are stronger than the building code for a house, considering you are looking at less than a 10' span on a 2x10. When I started my building career in 1976, you could go with a 2x10 16' at 16" oc. Still have the '76 code book. Your treated yellow pine is a stronger lumber than the typical HemFir we used in those days.
    The little diamonds on tape measures are for 19.3 inches on center. It's hard to find insulation rolls for that spacing though, so not worth the few dollars saved.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Jerry. Beefing up the floor structure where you think your heavy machinery will sit just confines you to the initial layout. I doubt if you'll find many shops that have stuck with way the layout was originally planned.

I built mine with 2x10's 16" OC. The span is <8'. I did beef it up under the lathe. Floor is 3/4" Advantech plus 3/4 oak flooring. Everything is solid. I would not not recommend 24" OC for any floor where you will likely have heavy machinery. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't recommend 24" centers on any floor, even with 1" subfloor & 3/4" hardwood. Especially in a shop.

I would go 12" centers for my own shop.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I would go 12" centers for my own shop.
    Same here.

If it was your money I'd go with 2 x 12s on 6" centers and marble over double diagonal hardwood planking.

Marble looks nicer but Granite wears better.

In a shop floor, stay far away from I joists.
    Stick with solid lumber, there is much less bounce, and it is ultimately stronger.
    I know the engineering papers might argue differently, but all you have to do is walk/bounce on the two types, you will know immediately.
    And 16” is the maximum center to center. If you see bigger or more machines in the future, go 12” on center.
    Last edited by peter gagliardi; 02-09-2019 at 7:57 PM.

It's interesting you say that, Peter...I have zero bounce on my second floor of the shop even if I jump up and down. (I weigh just north of 200 lbs) It's only 3/4" plywood over 12" I-joists, 16"OC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My house is built with BCI I joists set 16" OC with a pony wall halfway across the 32' span. It's topped with 1" Advantec flooring and there is no bounce.

T

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    In a shop floor, stay far away from I joists.
    Stick with solid lumber, there is much less bounce, and it is ultimately stronger.
    I know the engineering papers might argue differently, but all you have to do is walk/bounce on the two types, you will know immediately.
    Are you saying size for size, dimensional is going to be stiffer and stronger that I joists? Sorry, but that's wrong on both counts. And there is engineering to back that up. I did some pretty thorough research when I built my house & used I joists. 3 x 12 I joists on 16" centers with an 18' span, 3/4" OSB & 3/4" white oak flooring. It's very stiff.

About the only advantage dimensional has is that it will take longer to burn through in a fire.