Thread: Small format slider

Small format slider

I have a particular narrow question in the category of “which slider?”.

I am persuaded (by those who have commented in this forum) that if the choice is between a cabinet saw and a small format slider, and one has the budget for a slider, one should go with the slider. The reasoning seems to be that such a slider has most of the attractions of a cabinet saw, with at least short-throw sliding capabilities into the bargain. (Or as some would put it, the capabilities of a short-throw slider with most of the attractions of a cabinet saw into the bargain.)

So, if you accept that position and want the cabinet saw attractions with your slider, my question is whether a bare Felder K700 (1300mm/51” cutting length) is a good example of what meant by a “small format slider” in this context. The one available to me has the wider (1250mm / 49”) table to the right of the blade, so I suppose it is what I see referred to as a “48x48” slider. I have to go by pictures (and could not figure out how to post one here, the link is https://www.felder-group.com/fg-en/p...saw-k-700.html).

It has a slight protrusion over the sliding table towards the operator, but it doesn’t look like it would be much in the way of using the saw from behind. I am guessing that, since I would not be getting the outrigger, I will need to get one or more support tables to mount on the sliding table, for when they are needed.

Thoughts?

Yes, that’s exactly the sort of machine I recommend.

You can add the outrigger if you want, I did about 2 years after buying my B3.

Regards, Rod

Gordon, I'm a fan of short stroke sliders too. In my perfect world, a company would make one with a heavy enough extrusion so the sub table could be flush with the front of the saw but still crosscut 50". The old SCM SI12 was a good design with heavy extrusions and internals. Felder used to make a short stroke 7 series that was fairly stout. I wish they still did. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Gordon, I'm a fan of short stroke sliders too. In my perfect world, a company would make one with a heavy enough extrusion so the sub table could be flush with the front of the saw but still crosscut 50". The old SCM SI12 was a good design with heavy extrusions and internals. Felder used to make a short stroke 7 series that was fairly stout. I wish they still did. Dave
    I think the old SI 12 was almost a perfect saw, almost.

Check out a Minimax SC2. It uses 10" blades so if you already own some decent blades they transfer to the new saw.The one I owned was at least 25 years old,I was blown away by the way it was built,simple,solid and fully adjustable. It also was very accurate once I got it dialed in. The new ones have a few more features. When I got a quote it was pretty close to the same money as a Sawstop PCS (I think). Anyways like 150-200 dollars close. I would recommend if you are thinking about a slider ,try to get a chance to try one out. Not sure where you are located ,maybe someone on the forum is close enough to visit.

think the saws Darcy and Dave like take 14" blades and can go to 16". Owners manual on the SI 16 recommends 14 as the standard. 10" saw will limit some people.

Blog Entries
    You can take a 3/8" piece of plywood about 16" wide 96" long and nail a 1x2 strip about 6" from one side for the length of the plywood.

Then take your "skil saw" and cut one side the 96" length. After that you can clamp your jig to a piece of plywood and placing your saw to the right side
    of the strip, make perfect rip cuts on a full sheet of plywood.

You could make a shorter one if it suit you.

Short stroke sliders make perfect sense in a space-challenged shop environment. I traded a Unisaw for a Laguna 5 foot slider with no regrets. The sliding table outrigger hangs on the wall most of the time but is easily put in place when needed. My shop is only 16 ft in width so keeping the outrigger in place makes for some interesting travels.