Thread: Almost a gloat....

Almost a gloat....

Yesterday at my local rehome store i saw this panel tucked back in the corner of the warehouse. It is a 5 foot x 6 foot x 1/4 inch piece of solid surface made by Swan. Restore price $149. I found the manager and we negotiated a price of $30 if i took home right then. SOLD. Not sure what all i will do with it but i am sure things will come up. I tried looking up the MSRP on the net but everything i found similar to this was $650 and up but i am sure this piece would not be that high.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dale Dumond; 01-27-2019 at 6:15 PM.

If you can't figure out how to use it, please feel free to drop it off at my shop...I'll even reimburse you for your thirty bucks.

Seriously, a lot of use love solid surface for sign work off our CNC machines, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Only a gloat if you have a use for it. I have a shop and garage full of bargain stock waiting for it's special purpose. I can barely turn around in some places. Now at age 66, I really have to hump it to use a fraction of my 40+ years of accumulation to build projects.

My father always said nothing is a bargain if you can't use it. That being said if you can't use it you can probably get your money back out of it.

Oh you can use it alright. The types of projects are unlimited and 1/4" thick solid surface material is pretty valuable but not $650 for the size you scored. Hold on to the scraps, CNC operators will purchase 5x7 and 8x10 plaques to machine lithophanes and laser engravers love them for plaques which would probably get you almost 600 bucks if you cut them to size, sand and edge prep them.

Just for comparison a full sheet of 1/2" thick white solid surface material (30" by 144") from my local distributor is $270.00
    I have about 20 sheets of 1/4" thick Corian in my inventory (30" by 60") that I purchased from a company that was going out of business. I paid about 45 bucks per sheet and that was a serious bargain.

That really was a serious bargain on that .25" material, Keith...my distributor cost for one sheet is about what you noted for .5".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...