Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent hardwood prices?

Recent hardwood prices?

I was given a test/challenge and needed to buy some wood to pursue it. Yesterday when I went to my usual hardwood supplier about 30 miles north of here, I found 4/4 red oak at $6.69/BF. This is a greatly increased price over what I've paid there in the past. Is anyone else seeing dramatically price increases in hardwoods?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-27-2019 at 3:26 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I purchased some 8/4 maple in december at 3.59/bdft, went back last Friday 5.51/bdft now. This qualifies as a major increase to me!

Here in PA, it seems the dealers are very high, but there are some deals on Craigslist if you are patient. I have noticed even CL prices are getting higher.

Not sure why, but I remember years ago, Cherry and Walnut being comparable and the highest. Now it seems there are better deals on Cherry compared to the Oaks. Also, I seem to remember White Oak being the cheaper of the two, but now it is higher than Red Oak when I look at price lists at the dealers. If I ever work through my stash, I will be going with the Cherry which has always been my favorite anywho.

My 2 cents.

Some of the species are higher...it fluctuates with "design demand". I've not priced any oak since I don't generally use it, but the maple I bought not long ago was quite reasonable. I suspect ash is pretty economical right now due to the massive death of the species because of the emerald ash borer. (I have quite a few trees down on my property...enough to actually justify getting someone in to mill it, but that's a digression from the topic of retail pricing)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Has it been unusually wet? Or some other reason loggers can't get into the woods?
    that does seem expensive
    Google "CRMuterspaw lumber" he's local to me and I've bought from him. Always good quality and service. He has 4/4 red oak craft packs $4.55 /bdft shipped
    Last edited by kent wardecke; 01-27-2019 at 4:43 PM. Reason: Rewriting without link

I’m in southeastern Pa and the local folks post their prices online. Looking at my go-to’s of Groff & Groff and Hearnes Hardwoods, both January 2019 lists look almost identical to January 2018 to me.

Ken, I've noticed pricing a good bit higher at my usual haunts in Spokane. I have found some good deals from guys that advertise on craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I was given a test/challenge and needed to buy some wood to pursue it. Yesterday when I went to my usual hardwood supplier about 30 miles north of here, I found 4/4 red oak at $6.69/BF. This is a greatly increased price over what I've paid there in the past. Is anyone else seeing dramatically price increases in hardwoods?
    There have been some increases around here (mid-Michigan), but nothing major. Plainsawn 4/4 red oak is about $3/bf around here, if you're buying 100 bf or more. Quartersawn is about $4.

Maple, cherry, poplar and walnut all up.

China has been buying standing timber.

We buy piles of soft maple. About five months ago I noticed the bf price went up at least a $1 regardless of vendor regardless of BF...

Down here in SW Georgia, Hurricane Michael did a number on us with the pines and hardwoods. Most red oaks I've seen have been blown over, root balls and all. Pines generally snapped about mid way up. I asked a sawyer why they aren't milling lumber out of the trees and he told me there is too much fiber damage to the trees from the wind whipping them around that all they are good for is chipping and pulp. Prices are up in this area for wood because of that.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

My premium domestic hardwood supplier has raised his prices rather dramatically. People started catching on that his product is a cut above most others. It is simple supply and demand. Unfortunately, I am going to have to find another supplier. I have moved further away from him and that just makes it no longer worth it.

Find and support your local sawmill. Many are set up with kilns for drying wood, and often, a small proprietor is going to take better care and have pride in the product he/she delivers. I know several around the country that have recently installed vacuum kilns, as a newer company is building kilns to support smaller mills with a entry price point 1/3 the cost of previously available systems. I'm looking into one for my own operation, and it can dry 12/4 slabs in 2 weeks or less with almost zero degrade. 4/4 and 6/4 lumber is dry in less than a week. Support your local sawyer, and you will also find a lot of different species of timber not normally found at the typical retail suppliers, too. Just a thought.
    Jeff

Jeff,
    Can you tell us the name of the vendor selling those vacuum kilns?
    I'd be interested in learning a little more about those! Thanks, Jeff

It looks like the price spikes from May/June 2018 have worked there way through the supply chain and are now affecting retail prices. Ash, red oak, maple and cherry are in increased demand that is somewhat offset by decreased demand from China .Labor shortages in the logging and milling industries will continue to impact prices

https://contactind.com/2018/06/12/ha...d-prices-rise/