Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbet Plane advise

Rabbet Plane advise

I'm looking for input, advise & other ideas for this task with out breaking the bank. I'm wanting a rabbet plane to cut shallow 1/32 - 1/16 deep rabbets when cutting dove tails. I really don't want to spend the big dollars on a Veritas skewed rabbet plane for all I'm going to use it for. I have been looking at used Stanley 78's & the other brands also Record 778's. Then I thought maybe get the inlay kit & fence for my router plane, I know this is more steps but I can use these for other task as well.

Thank you
    AJ Breese

I have never done that for dovetails (there is some clever name for it I think). No reason the Stanley 78 can’t cut them for you though. I would clamp something on the backside to avoid blowout.

I'm not sure how a #78 will do with your dovetailing task (actually, I'm a little vague on how you are going to use it, and where the rabbet is), but a #78 is a handy plane to have in general, and they sometimes aren't too expensive to pick up. Make sure you get the spur and all the parts to the fence and check that the casting is good. They are rather fragile.

Of the two you mentioned, I had a Record 778. When I purchased it, the deciding factor was the fence had two bars to hold it in place and was easier to lock down. From what I've read on the various boards and hear from Fellow Woodworkers, seems that the Record 778 is/was a better tool.

An alternative to the rabbet for dove tails is to use blue tape. Put 1 or 2 layers on near what will be the base line, then mark the base line with your marking gauge, making sure you cut all the way through the tape. Then peel off the tape above the base line and you have the edge to work from. I've tried both the rabbet and the tape and the tape is a bit easier/quicker. Both work. Check Derick's web sight for more on the blue tape.

A rabbet plane is handy to have around, I use my 78 and wood rabbet planes often, but they do take some practice to get the good results and feel confident using them.

Thanks! Good idea I will give it try.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen (AJ) Breese View Post
    I'm looking for input, advise & other ideas for this task with out breaking the bank. I'm wanting a rabbet plane to cut shallow 1/32 - 1/16 deep rabbets when cutting dove tails. I really don't want to spend the big dollars on a Veritas skewed rabbet plane for all I'm going to use it for. I have been looking at used Stanley 78's & the other brands also Record 778's. Then I thought maybe get the inlay kit & fence for my router plane, I know this is more steps but I can use these for other task as well.

Thank you
    AJ Breese
    Allen,

One of the names for cutting the rabbet is "the 140" trick. Allen Peters used the technique with a Stanley 140 block plane. If you have a "snipes bill" it is real easy to cut the rabbet with a unfenced rabbet plane and they are dirt cheap. Well under a $100 USD new.

ken

If you want to do the shelf thing, just saw and chisel and clean it up with your router plane and a large base. No need for a fence. I think the step is unnecessary, but I have done it that way. Are you having trouble marking the pins?
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

As I was not 100% per cent sure I knew of "The 140 Trick", I found it on-line -- http://imaokguy.blogspot.com/2017/10...140-trick.html
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 01-27-2019 at 6:37 PM.

Funny I was just looking at that!

Funny I was just looking at that!
    I seem to remember that,

ken

Thank you
    AJ Breese
    AJ, kit is not a rebate/rabbet plane you are seeking but a block plane with a skewed blade. This method (of creating a shallow rebate for aligning a dovetail) was popularised by Rob Cosman, who was taught it by late Alan Peters, the amazing English furniture designer/maker. The plane he used was the Stanley #140 skew block plane. Rob Cosman used the LN version.

Here is Chris Schwarz using it (look carefully at the end of the tail board, and you can see that his plane spelched the corner) ...

Recently I posted a method using blue tape that does away with planing. The blue tape adds a fence against which one can register the tail board against the pin board. After marking out, simply peel away the tape. The article is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...ickisDead.html

The fence acts in the same way as the "#140 trick", except that it may be peeled away afterwards and there is no altering of the dimensions to the board ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'll vouch for Derek's blue tape method being superior to the shallow rabbet, I have tried both and I'm sticking with the tape. (Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity to throw a cheap pun in there) Quicker, easier, cleaner, no risk of spelching like in CS's photo above.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Never seen that bit about planing a rabbet to register the board to mark out a dovetail. Weird. It seems like an awful lot of extra work just to draw a few lines on the end of a board. It. also seems like it just adds to the things that can go wrong with your project, more risk for not a lot of extra help. If you did want layout assistance that blue tape thing seems more than adequate.

Allen

You're getting down to the fine details of how you want to approach your dovetailing. If you want to try it, why not give a 78/778 a go. A good tool to have, it might work for you, it might not. Although I don't use this method, I would recommend only making a very shallow rebate, less risk of breakout. Derek's option is a worthwhile option too if you want to experiment. I would not bother for 99% of the time with tape or a rebate but it's nice to know these methods exist should the need arise.