Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone thinking of building your own coffin?

Anyone thinking of building your own coffin?

And I'm not talking about a plane. I think CS has built one and is using it as a bookcase until needed otherwise. Thinking back on my life, most places that I've lived, I have built or rebuilt my dwelling and a majority of the furnishing within. There's some comfort in that. So I have been toying with the idea of building my own coffin. The idea is not being met with enthusiasm with the wife and family. Any thoughts on this?
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

The problem is where to store it until you need it. Because of that, I'll use one that someone else built and delivered when it's needed.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm told the funeral business in some states is a very regulated business such that almost everything must be ordered and purchased through the funeral home. I suggest that you first check with the funeral home you intend to do business with. Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The problem is where to store it until you need it. Because of that, I'll use one that someone else built and delivered when it's needed.
    You could always sleep in it. I would probably want to build in a mechanism to elevate the sleeping body to full erect position by pulling a lever or something. (Bad knees.)

This is the closest I hope to partisipate in my death.

I really would love to relocate late in life as to be buried this way.

Seems to many I’m sure brutal but to me it just makes sense..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

Absolutely not. I have already come too close ending up in a coffin too many times in my life already. I don't want to make it any more convenient for The Reaper by having one on hand.

+10 bonus points for catching the BOC reference.

Since I'll be cremated...no.

I thought about it when all the metal "caskets " looked like they were made out of old Buicks. And it might be ,they still do. That leaves a different "hot" deal. Lot of old guys in wood world used to make their own. Local paper ran a photo of
    a retired wood worker ,up in age, with the one he made while young. I'm sure his worked out.

I have been thinking of making my urn, as for if it is legal to day I don't know, but back in 2007 I made my mom's. But know you have me second thinking my plan! LOL

Blog Entries
    Be sure to check your state regulations. There are different construction requirements for each state.

Regulations on do-it - yourself are mostly gone. Lots of court cases, and State Boards of Buddy Protection defeated.

I'm too much of a procrastinator. Probably a bit too challenging to get it done right before the "dead"line.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I considered it, but dont have a place to store it long term and a Schwartz-style bookcase/casket is going a little too far for my comfort level. (I dont mind being prepared, but I dont want to stare at the dang thing for 40 years.) Nothing wrong with making one if it suits you. Do check local regulations.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have thought of building my own and mounting it on my workshop wall above my canoe. A constant reminder to not waste my time left. Swimming 50 lengths of an Olympic pool is not routine any longer.
    Storage could be an issue down the road though, hate to pay for years of storage while I rot in some nursing home.

Are you working on a flat pack design?
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Just noticed I forgot to mention that the ones made for maker were often used as blanket chests or other storage. Never
    read anything about them being stored out of sight or off premises.