Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone thinking of building your own coffin?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I considered it, but don't have a place to store it long term and a Schwartz-style bookcase/casket is going a little too far for my comfort level. (I don't mind being prepared, but I don't want to stare at the dang thing for 40 years.) Nothing wrong with making one if it suits you. Do check local regulations.
    And then, when you die, your survivors have to find some other place to store their books

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Coffins.jpgIt's a fun group project – and you get lots of great looks through the front windows while doing it. Mine is, after a Halloween stint on thr front porch, in the basement where it serves as storage for me, not of me.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    I have thought of building my own and mounting it on my workshop wall above my canoe. A constant reminder to not waste my time left. Swimming 50 lengths of an Olympic pool is not routine any longer.
    Storage could be an issue down the road though, hate to pay for years of storage while I rot in some nursing home.

Are you working on a flat pack design?
    I don't know what the flat pack design is, however, I thought about cutting, planing and fitting all the pieces and pre-drilling the holes for the cut nails, then leave it un-assembled, hoping someone could knock it together when the time comes.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

No coffins...ashes to be scattered. Yes, an environmentally friendly kinda guy here. If my family honor my (living) wish, I don't want any formal funeral to be arranged. An obituary sent to remote relatives and friends would be more than enough.

Simon

Megan, that is a happy looking bunch. Make-up artist - coffin maker is a great skill set !

Not sure why I read this thread. Maybe the same reason people stare at an accident scene...

Not sure why anyone would waste good lumber on a coffin.
    Regards,

Kris

I wonder why they used to make coffins in that shape. That doesn't save a lot of wood over a plain rectangular coffin, and it makes the construction more difficult. That joint in the sides at arm level could be weak unless done well. Any ideas why they're that shape?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think it was to know for sure which end the feet were in. They were always careful to carry a body feet first. And suicides
    were carried head first. These days they get a little careless at times.

Definitely a bucket list project for me.

I feel like there was a Roy Underhill episode on coffin building. Might be worth a look if you want to do it.

ETA: Just googled it. Called “Plain pine box” available for free from the PBS website.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lawrence; 01-28-2019 at 7:44 PM.

When I saw that link about sky burial, before I clicked on it I thought to myself "pushed out of a plane over some random location? Maaaybe worth looking into - that way my family can say I finally tried skydiving."

Blog Entries
    I sorta share the opinion of Bob Hope on such things.
    I read somewhere that when asked where he wanted to be buried, he responded with "Surprise me".

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Definitely a bucket list project for me.
    I see what you did there.

[QUOTE=Flamone LaChaud;2892451]When I saw that link about sky burial, before I clicked on it I thought to myself "pushed out of a plane over some random location? Maaaybe worth looking into - that way my family can say I finally tried skydiving."[/QUOTE
    I have no objection to the sky drop .....oops, almost forgot the requisite "but not in my neighborhood"
    Unusual requests can, over time, be misunderstood. A few generations out that could become "his body was dropped on the dump site from a plane". Or a murderer found guilty might say. "He died of natural cause. He loved automobiles and
    made me promise to bury him in the "automobile grave yard".

I have thought about it and would like to build mine.

Megan hit on a good idea. Build it and turn it into a saw till and plane rack.

Then repurpose it back to the original purpose...once it’s needed for that!