Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would this be a good table Saw?

Where are you finding all these used cabinet saws at good prices?

The only ones I see are almost new prices.

USA, Where do you live?
    Bill D

Sacramento

Search Tempest is a great help for Craigslist. I would include Reno to Bakersfield in your search.

today on clist there is a delta 12/14 saw for $350 in Sebastopool. This is a great deal if you have the room, wish I had room and time to clean it up. Worth that price for the Bisemeyer fence.
    Unisaw for $500 in Watsonville.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Now there are a lot of baby boomers downsizing or the ultimate downsizing of dying, that the used market is steadily dropping.
    lmao. I am on this path... (arent we all!)

Was wondering if I should write out some instructions for my survivors. A lot of equipment packed into my shop that none of them would understand the value of (especially true of hand tools and smaller items).

I lived this when my father died (before CL), he was a mechanic. Had people show up just to grossly lowball everything. Mom had no idea and I was just a teenager but had a clue.

To this day I remember some who showed up, offered respectable advice and prices on what they wanted (many of these were work colleagues). It made an impression such that I will NOT low ball a grieving family to this day.

The observers are correct. That saw started out from the factory in the 1950s as a Rockwell/Delta 34-350. What it is now is a chopped up mess. Another 'gotcha' detail is that many of those saws came with an 1-1/8" arbor instead of a 1" arbor. That can be another ugly surprise.

I have no plans to leave my family with issues like this to deal with. I'm just going top leave all my personal junk to some person or group that can use it. Personally, I don't feel like I need to leave every penny possible to my family.

Add arbor size, oversize miter slots, footprint, 3ph., butchered cabinet, I would only take it for salvage and maybe have second thoughts then. l always wanted a 12-14 and did buy a nice one. After getting it home and facing all the issues it brought with it, sold it and never looked back.

Thinking about the space I have (half a two car garage) a 12-14 is to big anyway.
    Is $500 really that good a deal for the one in Watsonville it looks pretty rough?

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Lets see

Old saw, missing parts, need a single phase motor...................You may never find the missing parts as 'spares". Which means you have to buy another piece of junk just for the parts. And.................your new hobby would be tool restoration, not woodworking.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

OK, I'm curious, what are all the parts missing from this saw? Miter gauge and nameplate..................?

I did not notice the one in Watsonville was three phase.
    https://monterey.craigslist.org/tls/...782260759.html only looks to be missing the door. Probably single phase.
    there is a Fay and Eagin that pops up from time to time. Too old for my taste.
    Just to show you there is stuff on clist fairly local to you. Monterey is nice to visit if the weather is decent. Is the wood working store still there on lighthouse ave?
    Bil lD
    Unisaw mootrs are hard to adapt a standard base motor into. I understand the Delta 12/14 saw is a standard NEMA frame motor. Powermatic is suposed to be a standard C-face motor.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-30-2019 at 11:11 PM.

RE: The missing parts -- rip fence looks shop made: aluminum and MDF or plyw'd. Not sure about the blade guard.

I thought the issue was missing parts not non original parts. If the question was "is this a good saw to restore to original factory specs" the replacement parts would be an issue. I'm sure I'm not the only one on the forum with a replacement fence and shop made overarm guard on their saw that function better than the original factory ones. Don't get me wrong I don't think it is a good choice as a "home use" saw unless you have a big shop and need a monster of a saw because of the 12" blade and three phase power but as a working saw I don't see any critical missing parts based on the photos. It may look a little rough from the photos but looks can be deceiving, for all we know it might run like a Swiss watch and cut 8/4 oak like butter.