Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to decide on a new tool rest.

Advanced really needs to work on their website. All they show is the front view and they give no information other than it's a 1" shaft. Looking at the pictures some of the wider rests have a support welded to it that would impact how much the tool can be tilted down. Without a side profile view it's hard to tell. They say they will make the rest to the right height for your lathe so I assume that they must build them after you order one. It would be nice to see them in person. One of the hardest things with owning a lathe is not ending up with a lot of extra stuff that collect dust because you don't use them. In the long run it's not so much of a problem (as long as you know you have it) but most of us try to stay within a budget which means trying to pick the stuff that will be of more use. I can see having 3 or 4 rests (probably a couple made by me specifically for my needs) down the road but I would rather focus on being able to do segmented bowls and hollow vessels.

Richard there is a slight angle forward. I think it's around 7 degrees but if you really want to know you can just call Steve Sinner & ask him, his ph.# is on his web site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Hard to tell from the Advanced Lathe Tools site what the side profile looks like. Do these rests have any forward projection or are they pretty much straight up and down?

Alex Zeller. Steve really doesn't keep up his site up to date. He will gladly answer any questions if you call him, his ph. # is on his web site. Steve is a one man business for his tools. He does all the machining,welding, painting, shipping, book keeping, janitorial work, and anything else evolved in his business himself. He has also taken on the role of care giver to his wife who is suffering from advanced alzheimers. Most of his sales come from referrals & doesn't spend much time on his site.
    Steve & I also spend one or two days a week working on wood art.
    Disclosure I'm good friends with Steve & we have a wood art partnership, I do not profit from his tool business though.
    The support your referring to is 5/8" square. Because of the height of the rest you are able to lower the handle of your tools more so than on many other rest.
    If you ask around you'll find many accomplished & pro turners use Steve's rest. I'm just suggesting that you don't rule out his rest because so many people recommend the Robust rest which a heavily advertised.