Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Markers for pet graves?

Markers for pet graves?

Folks -

I was looking to see if anyone had had any experience with ordering stone markers for pet's burial sites. I've wanted to get something with their names for the 5 dogs we've buried over the years on our property here, and today we had to let our beloved Wally go, so I thought maybe it was time for me to actually get something. Wally had degenerative mitral valve disease. We fought it with multiple medications over the past 11 months, and after doing really well for 8 months or so, he developed atrial fibrillation from the enlarged heart, and then things slowly got worse with him not eating ( the meds ruin a dog's appetite) , was unable to drink because it refluxed right back from his esophagus being partly blocked, and in the past few days he got to where he couldn't do much anymore. Our vet who'd been taking care of him all this time came to our house, and it was as peaceful and gentle as such a thing can be. I made a pine box for a casket, and we buried him near our other dogs on a nice sunny slope facing our house.

Anyhow, I'm not looking for anything huge, just small stone markers with their names. I have a vague picture in my mind of something with a triangular cross section so it could sit by itself with the name facing up at an angle, with maybe 3-4 inch high letters. I had a quick look online and was rapidly overwhelmed. Anyone got some experience to share?

Thanks - Ken

8D40E9A0-257B-41BC-8CEB-ABAAC09BC18A.jpgKen, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of Wally.

I recently lost my shop supervisor Ellington.

The vet had a paw print cast made for us.....Regards, Rod
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 01-26-2019 at 4:44 PM.

Ken,
    Im very sorry for your loss. It astonishes me how attached we (I) can get to a dog. They are such truly amazing friends.

I lost a good friend of my own last year. I placed this marker above his grave because it looks so much like him. LINK It doesnt have his name on it, but it might complement whatever you decide upon. The company, Design Toscano, sells many pet memorials, some of which are on Amazon.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

check into the engravers section someone there may be able to make a custom one for you. I am not able to do much as my shoulder is still sore from rotator cuff surgery but I made a couple monuments for people that I know. I used corian that will last for years

I used a sandstone flagstone and a dremel tool to carve their names
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

marble tile or countertop scraps and a sandblaster with rubber stencils cut from yoga mat.
    Bill D.

Ken, I am sorry to hear about Wally. Our pets become such a big part of our lives that loosing them can be very painful. I lost my best friend a little over a year ago. I still think about her every day.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Rod, I had seen your post and loved your description of Ellington as the shop supervisor. I am sorry for your loss.

I'm not sure how I would describe Wally's position here, but certainly something along the lines of monarch might convey it. Our vet also made a paw cast. I will pick it up in a couple of days and put it on my desk where I can see and touch it often.

Ken

Ken

Steve, that's an interesting idea. Couple questions: How long did that take, roughly? And how many dremel bits? Also, freehand or with some sort of pattern? I can't draw a straight line, freehand. Where does one get a sandstone flagstone?

Could you post a picture?

Ken

Some options:

Corian can be either laser engraved or CNC routed. Laser engraving a photograph is possible provided the photo has the appropriate contrast and deep engraved text can be paint or epoxy filled as well. Corian will last up to 50 years in an exterior service according to Dupont. VCarved text and graphics are very easy to do in Corian with a CNC router and can also be either painted, filled with epoxy or sprayed with a bronze or other metallic coating. Additionally a CNC inlay can be created in Corian the same way you might create one in wood. An inlay relies on an adhesive to keep the letters intact and the lifespan of adhesive is probably not suitable but there is a technique that the letters drop in from the back and they have a mechanical fit that would last the life of the marker.

Black marble tiles can be laser engraved with photographs and text. The image contrast will most likely fade over many years so this technique may not be the best choice. Deep engraving can be paint filled and refreshed every few years to keep the marker looking nice. Marble and a number of soft stones can be CNC routed, basically this is the next best option to a concrete marker but stone will often chip when machining small details.

Brass and other soft metals can be CNC routed, either VCarved or with raised letters.

IMO a Corian CNC raised text marker is the best choice for longevity and cost. Fifty years of exterior service without any maintenance is a good option.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-27-2019 at 10:51 AM.

11. Condolence Rod.

Keith, thanks for the ideas. How do I find someone who does this? I tried some searches without any success, but might be using the wrong search terms - I tried corian raised text marker. Regards,

Ken

Lost my best ever companion in a house fire 4 years ago. He is buried up under the tree where he spent so much time surveying his realm. He was getting old and I knew his last visit to the vet was not far off. Still hurts to think about the fact that I did not get to say good bye. OTH, I never saw him fade into such old age that he became debilitated. My only memories are of him healthy and vibrant. Roaming the hay field chasing butter flies on a warm Spring day. Riding shotgun in the truck, etc. We have had a steady string of dogs here on the farm. Loved them all. All were family not just animals. Duke was the best. I sometimes wonder what our eventual reunion will be like, but in the meantime, there is another who has become part of the family. Different personality, but still far better than many people I have met.

Ken,

You can find plenty of people right here in both our CNC Router and Laser Engraving forums that can produce these types of jobs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a few more just to give you some ideas. Most of these are in my Corian sign Gallery

You should start a new thread in our Classifieds Forum and ask about monument markers. There are lots of talented people here whose work makes mine look pretty shabby.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-27-2019 at 10:17 PM.